What's new

Cannot figure out why screen turning off

cvc988

Ok - this is driving me nuts!

I have a SP3 i5/256gb and don't know what I did last week but the screen is turning off after a minute, regardless of on power vs. battery. See screenshots here. My screensaver says "1 minute" but also "none". I just needed to have it require password on wakeup but pretty sure this is how it has always been. See settings in screenshots.

DisplayScreenShots.png

bmack

Mine was doing the same thing. I took it to Microsoft and they informed me it was a third party app I had installed causing it. So they did a full system restore.

OP
C

cvc988

I have restarted many times.

Did they ever figure out what it was that was doing it? I wonder if a "refresh" would fix? I don't have much installed from the Windows store.

malberttoo

I have restarted many times.

Did they ever figure out what it was that was doing it? I wonder if a "refresh" would fix? I don't have much installed from the Windows store.

If you don't have much installed, and didn't mind doing the refresh, it would probably only take about 15 minutes. Now I'm not advocating a refresh to just fix any old problem... but if you can't find the cause, and it wouldn't be much of an inconvenience, then I say why not.

Bandito

I think it's the screensaver setting. Setting it to None means it won't use a screensaver program, but just blanks the screen instead. Set it to 5 minutes and see if that's the case or not.

OP
C

cvc988

If you don't have much installed, and didn't mind doing the refresh, it would probably only take about 15 minutes. Now I'm not advocating a refresh to just fix any old problem... but if you can't find the cause, and it wouldn't be much of an inconvenience, then I say why not.
Refresh doesn't wipe the device
I think it's the screensaver setting. Setting it to None means it won't use a screensaver program, but just blanks the screen instead. Set it to 5 minutes and see if that's the case or not.
I will give it a shot

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just curious did you tinker with any of the stuff from the two threads a couple weeks back that were about turning the screen off. One way orb the other this is likely a soft configuration error/corruption for which there's no Reset Button.

Please Microsoft please can we have reset buttons for damn near everything. It would sure beat the crap out of having to refresh all the time.

Last edited:

malberttoo

Just curious did you tinker with any of the stuff from the two threads a couple weeks back that were about turning the screen off. One way orb the other this is likely a soft configuration error/corruption for which there's no Reset Button.

Please Microsoft please can we have reset buttons for damn near everything. It would sure beat the crap out of having to a refresh all the time.

Or maybe we need to preach harder the use of restore points for System Restore? I've often wondered how many times that would be useful on some of these issues we're seeing on the SP3.

Take it out of the box and update, make a restore point. Add Office, make a restore point. Add next Desktop app, make a restore point, etc.

Then at least you might some other option of going back in time, besides a full-on refresh or reset.

Edit- but yes completely agree, we definitely need ways of cleanly resetting some of these subsystems, without having to reinstall the whole OS.

OP
C

cvc988

OK changing the screen saver time worked. Thanks. What is funny is that I'm pretty sure it has been set to a minute for a very long time