What's new

charge with cellphone charger?

netuser

Is it really practical to expect to be able to charge the Surface 3 with a cell phone charger?
Seems like there would not be enough power coming out of the typical cell phone charger regardless of the connector being able to fit the charging port.

leeshor

The short answer would be yes, but you might want to think about few extra cups of coffee while you wait.

OP
N

netuser

The short answer would be yes, but you might want to think about few extra cups of coffee while you wait.
If the cell phone charger is too weak, it may not be able to even keep up with the drain while the device is in use.
Many people may be disappointed if they have expectations of just borrowing any random person's cell phone charger if they are caught away from home with a low battery and without the charger designed for the Surface.

leeshor

I should have added that the Surface would likely need to be off. I guess we'll know the first time someone tries it. ;)

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
If the cell phone charger is too weak, it may not be able to even keep up with the drain while the device is in use.
Many people may be disappointed if they have expectations of just borrowing any random person's cell phone charger if they are caught away from home with a low battery and without the charger designed for the Surface.

This was a big issue when the nexus 10 was released, a very very low powered device in comparison. People were unable to do things like play simple games without the device discharging while plugged in. Fingers crossed MS have thought ahead on this one.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
This was a big issue when the nexus 10 was released, a very very low powered device in comparison. People were unable to do things like play simple games without the device discharging while plugged in. Fingers crossed MS have thought ahead on this one.
How would they reengineer the laws of physics?

I guess they could write some software to popup a message like:
Hey Doofus! Your charger is too weak to keep up, get a stronger charger or pedal faster. :D

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
How would they reengineer the laws of physics?

As in they are using a charger that is matched to the power requirements of the device. Not shipping it with a 2.6a charger when the device would require a 3a charger. Think this would be more about the "laws" governing the usb specification than the laws of physics. Personally, i like my magnetic cable :) same experience with my nexus 10, added cost, but much prefer the magnetic pogo charging cable to a fiddly delicate micro usb cable.

ctitanic

As in they are using a charger that is matched to the power requirements of the device. Not shipping it with a 2.6a charger when the device would require a 3a charger. Think this would be more about the "laws" governing the usb specification than the laws of physics. Personally, i like my magnetic cable :) same experience with my nexus 10, added cost, but much prefer the magnetic pogo charging cable to a fiddly delicate micro usb cable.
The magnetic cable to me is the best and to me one of the biggest disadvantages of the S3. I do not know how many times this feature has saved my SP3 from falling.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
According to NotebookCheck the Surface 3 battery is 28400 mwh (28.4 wh).
This LimeFuel pack should give you an additional 5-7 hours.

Edit: This is wrong ... see below ... it's even better.

Last edited: