What's new

charger/Pro3 interface

IamIra

I bought a Pro 3 about a year ago when in Bellevue. We have been on the road in our Rv for the last two months+ and about a month ago, I couldn't get the unit to charge unless reversing the plug. I could not contact MS through the web site because of bad internet connections. I was successful a few days ago and scheduled a call when we were at a new location and "docked" only to not receive a call. So I am frustrated. I purchased a new power unit via amazon about three weeks ago, and it worked for the first week or two, then had to reverse the plug. How can I get this thing to charge?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I assume revering the plug refers to the blade Surface Connect connector not the AC Plug.

That's a strange problem, it would seem like an issue with the Socket on the Surface although why reversing the plug would help is still strange since it should be the same either way.

I guess it's a minor blessing that it charges with the plug reversed. :)

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
I bought a Pro 3 about a year ago when in Bellevue. We have been on the road in our Rv for the last two months+ and about a month ago, I couldn't get the unit to charge unless reversing the plug. I could not contact MS through the web site because of bad internet connections. I was successful a few days ago and scheduled a call when we were at a new location and "docked" only to not receive a call. So I am frustrated. I purchased a new power unit via amazon about three weeks ago, and it worked for the first week or two, then had to reverse the plug. How can I get this thing to charge?

What precisely do you mean by "reversing the plug"? Also - does this only happen in your RV, or does it happen everywhere? I know that the electricity outlets in RV's can sometimes be 'finicky' if not properly grounded etc. Have you tested your outlets using a multi-meter checking for the correct voltage spectrum. Additionally some campgrounds have sketchy electricity hook up's - which can result in overall damage to an RV's electrical options.

Also - you said something along the lines of being "docked" - have you attempted trouble-shooting by not using your docking station and using the plug only on a normal electrical outlet. I apologize if you have done all of this - I am just attempting to pass along some ideas to assist you in narrowing down your issue - since Microsoft see's fit to not call when scheduled. Do you have a "known-good" charging unit in which you can test things out? Hope this helps a little and again, apologies in advance if you have checked all of this.

Mike