What's new

Charging Problem

sos_123

The charger of microsoft surface pro 4 has suddenly stopped working. I don't know what the issue is because it was working fine before. I tried plugging it in different sockets and cleaning the connector but that didn't seem to work. I checked the connector with a tester to see if the current is reaching the connector. That didn't seem to be the problem because the current is reaching the connector but when i plug the connector in the surface the light on the connector, which is supposed to turn on upon connection, didn't turn on and the surface did not charge. So i really can't figure out what the issue is. Somebody help me!!!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try doing a two button shutdown.

Two-button shutdown (Surface Pro models and Surface Book only)
Important
Don’t use this process on Surface RT, Surface 2, or Surface 3.

Use this two-button shutdown process to ensure that your Surface is turned off completely. Here’s how:

Step 1: Press and hold the power button on your Surface for 30 seconds and then release it.
Step 2: Press and hold the volume-up button and the power button at the same time for at least 15 seconds and then release both.
The screen may flash the Surface logo, but continue holding the buttons down for at least 15 seconds.
Step 3: After you release the buttons, wait 10 seconds.
Step 4: Press and release the power button to turn your Surface back on.

This can reset power related issues.

Another thing to try is reinstalling the battery driver... in Device Manager, uninstall the battery driver (do not remove it) and it will automatically reinstall.

You may need to try a different charger to determine if the problem is with the Surface or the charger.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
OK. Is there an equivalent procedure for the S3 though?
Well since it's a non-pro you only get the force shutdown by holding the power button. This is why you pay extra for the Pro. ;)

Somebody did it on an S3 and nothing bad happened... but maybe he was just lucky. :) or he didn't notice that data leak to the NSA & FBI. I have a side deal with them to destroy mine though. :D

Last edited:

kristalsoldier

Well since it's a non-pro you only get the force shutdown by holding the power button. This is why you pay extra for the Pro. ;)

Somebody did it on an S3 and nothing bad happened... but maybe he was just lucky. :) or he didn't notice that data leak to the NSA & FBI. I have a side deal with them to destroy mine though. :D

Well, I am more concerned about the MSS/ MID/ RAW and possibly the ISI:D

I'll try the shut down and restart sequence on my S3 and will report back!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, I am more concerned about the MSS/ MID/ RAW and possibly the ISI:D

I'll try the shut down and restart sequence on my S3 and will report back!
I had forgotten and rediscovered that on an S2 or SRT pressing power while holding the vol up renders the device completely unresponsive until you release volume and then hold power button for a full 30 seconds, pressing power briefly or for only a few seconds it does nothing.

kundas1

isn't that supposed to reboot into recovery mode? since you didn't have a usb plugged in it probably hanged for a bit till you forced it to turn off/on to boot up again...