What's new

Chromecast and Surface Pro -- Not Working?

strollin

... Also you need the screen on the surface pro to be on all the time. Going from an iphone or ipad to apple tv it just works and you can turn "off the screen".

http://www.airsquirrels.com/airparrot/
That's because there are no Windows apps that support Chromecast. My understanding is that MS doesn't provide an interface so that Windows apps can make calls to the Chromecast SDK.

If you use an Android device and one of the apps with built-in Chromecast support (such as Netflix or Hulu) then you just initiate streaming of video or whatever from the device then you can turn it off and the video will still continue to stream to the TV.

I bought a Chromecast when they were first announced and used it for several months but quit using it once I got my Roku player.

Last edited:

jompao

That's because there are no Windows apps that support Chromecast. My understanding is that MS doesn't provide an interface so that Windows apps can make calls to the Chromecast SDK.

If you use an Android device and one of the apps with built-in Chromecast support (such as Netflix or Hulu) then you just initiate streaming of video or whatever from the device then you can turn it off and the video will still continue to stream to the TV.

I bought a Chromecast when they were first announced and used it for several months but quit using it once I got my Roku player.
wrong, it supports the chrome browser on Windows. And you can run netflix, just don't work on Surface pro

strollin

You can run Netflix from within the Chrome browser, yes, but if you install the Netflix app from the Windows store it is not Chromecast enabled whereas on Android devices it is. It's the same with any other app from the Windows store. There's a big difference in functionality between running things within the Chrome browser and running apps that are Chromecast enabled.

Take the example of Netflix. When running it within the Chrome browser, you simply mirror what's on the local computer's screen to your TV. The computer cannot be used for anything else while a movie is streaming in Netflix. On my Android phone or tablet, I can bring up the Netflix app, start a movie streaming on my TV, then I can switch away and use the phone or tablet to do other things without disturbing the movie. In the first instance the movie is being streamed to the local computer then mirrored on the TV. In the second instance the movie is streamed directly to the Chromecast.

jompao

You can run Netflix from within the Chrome browser, yes, but if you install the Netflix app from the Windows store it is not Chromecast enabled whereas on Android devices it is. It's the same with any other app from the Windows store. There's a big difference in functionality between running things within the Chrome browser and running apps that are Chromecast enabled.

Take the example of Netflix. When running it within the Chrome browser, you simply mirror what's on the local computer's screen to your TV. The computer cannot be used for anything else while a movie is streaming in Netflix. On my Android phone or tablet, I can bring up the Netflix app, start a movie streaming on my TV, then I can switch away and use the phone or tablet to do other things without disturbing the movie. In the first instance the movie is being streamed to the local computer then mirrored on the TV. In the second instance the movie is streamed directly to the Chromecast.
Not sure about that, is there not two ways o use chromecast on windows? Anyhow the thing I wanted to inform abut it did not work on the surface pro at all, but fine from my brothers pc.

strollin

I finally got around to trying the Chromecast on the SP3 and found that it works fine from the Chrome browser. Not sure why some are reporting that it doesn't work at all.