What's new

Comparison of 4 portable DVD drives using Surface Pro 2, 3, 4, Surface Book

gangolfus

Really? That's terrible... never knew that. It really should considering Xbox One comes straight out the box with blu-ray support now.

Microsoft has to pay a licensing fee for each copy of Windows it sells that has the support, so they are saving money by not including it. They are also banking on the days of watching movies via physical media coming to an end in the near future. I'm guessing the Xbox One includes it because someone is far far more likely to watch a physical Blu-ray disc on it than on a laptop/tablet. Especially with large numbers of of these devices not even including an optical drive to begin with. I have no problem with it, especially if one has to buy an extra physical device to even do it. OSX also does not natively support Blu-ray playback.

redbrick

Great review. I should note (...and not trying to promote anything here...) The buffalo does come with PowerDVD that plays blurays...but I do understand the desire to have it natively supported. I feel the same way too. I also feel the power and data cords are really short, but that's the price for portability. I bought this unit because I wanted the ability to read just about any disk format on the market today....compatibility was/is the most important factor in my decision.

kundas1

I'm wondering, is there a video player that can play Blu-ray on the Surface 2? Because I'm wondering maybe that is why the Blu-ray player disconnects only when I put a disk in.... and one that isn't over priced ridiculously?

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I play Blu-ray just fine with my Buffalo MediaStation Portable BDXL Blu-ray Writer BRXL-PC6U2B. The way I do it, is via the Windows Media Center for Windows 8.1 . Waiting for somebody to test this on a Surface 2.

In the Search box, enter "add features". The Windows Media Center (Feature Pack) for Windows 8.1 works well with my Surface Pro 2.

tiles.jpg

get_more.jpg

header-WMC.png

add_features.jpg

Last edited:

kundas1

Sharp, you've got to slow down when reading someone's post, this is the second time you've posted that tip and it doesn't APPLY to my question as I have a SURFACE 2 and NOT the pro... thanks anyways.

kundas1

And I replied to you it doesn't work when you FIRST posted that idea in the other thread! The S2 does not have WMC at all... nothing wrong with being helpful, but your not reading nor being helpful... just saying is all

AdamE

Thank you. I have been researching this topic for 2 hours and this is the best review I have found yet. My question is... have you tried these devices with the Surface Pro 3 yet? Specifically for watching DVD movies? I don't care about burning.

Also, have you tried the new Samsung Blu-ray player that only requires one USB cable?
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SE-506CB-RSBD-Blu-ray-External/dp/B00JJGFRIQ/

If you can answer these questions, I will definitely send you a tip!

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you. I have been researching this topic for 2 hours and this is the best review I have found yet. My question is... have you tried these devices with the Surface Pro 3 yet?...

The performance of these drives is the same on my Surface Pro 3 i7 512 as I posted originally on my Surface Pro 2, including watching DVD movies (Blu Ray). I have not tried the new Samsung, but I suspect it would perform just fine.

guymalloc

I have the Samsung portable DVD burner in the review. I didn't buy it specifically for my SP1, I bought it for my Android tablet, has AV mode to allow reading media dvd's natively in Andoid 4. It works wonderfully with the Surface, use Nero Express to burn, and Blazedvd free to watch DVD movies. It has a VERY small power requirement, works flawless with the single USB3 port on the surface, or one of the USB2 ports on my docking station.