What's new

Connected Standby - Confused Out of My Mind

Windows Store apps get a few seconds every 15 minutes to run background tasks, but desktop applications are paused for the duration of Connected Standby. Allowing apps to run in a controlled manner is how email sync and tile updates are performed during Connected Standby.

Only the apps that are on the "run in background and show notifications in the lockscreen" list are able to do this or every app can do this and just not show lockscreen notifications ?

malberttoo

Only the apps that are on the "run in background and show notifications in the lockscreen" list are able to do this or every app can do this and just not show lockscreen notifications ?

For sure, nothing in the Desktop can do it.

As far as the apps, I think it's just any app that normally would be updating its status while the computer is on, can also do it in Connected Standby.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
One other thing to remember is the SP3 uses a Power Management EPROM that operates lower than the OS....

bluegrass

In doing some research about connected standby, I read that the term "connected standby" was replaced by the term "instant go" sometime back, yet I've never seen a thread discussing the problems with "instant go".

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
InstantGo is the marketing term used by Microsoft for Connected Standby for the consumer segment....

phositadc

[snip]
The traditional Sleep (ACPI S3) state consumes 500 milliwatts or more of average power consumption to maintain memory in self-refresh and allow the platform to wake on user input. This gives the typical mobile system with a 45-watt-hour battery just under 100 hours of Sleep time on a full charge. However, Connected Standby systems use low-power memory and power-optimized embedded controllers to consume less than 150 milliwatts in most configurations. This allows the typical platform to remain in Sleep for 300 hours on a full battery charge—3 times longer than the traditional Sleep state.
Connected Standby has longer battery life than Sleep and also maintains connectivity. This allows the user to no longer worry about the battery life tradeoff between Sleep and Hibernate, nor worry about the differences in resume performance. A user of a Connected Standby PC can just shut the lid or press the power button and be assured the system will enter a low-power mode and maintain connectivity—just like a smartphone.
[snip]

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm thinking about buying an SP3 as a laptop replacement and am reading various threads in this forum. A very helpful forum, overall, so many thanks to all who regularly contribute.

On to my question. I understand that ctitanic is just quoting from Microsoft here (above), but does Microsoft's description sound wrong to anybody else? It says that in traditional sleep you get, on a 45-watt-hour battery, "just under 100 hours of Sleep time on a full charge." That would mean on traditional Sleep you are losing about 1% per hour, according to MS.

I have a Vaio Pro 11. It's an i5-4200U processor w/ 4GB ram. I am not certain, but I believe it's battery is LESS than 45-watt-hours (it's a tiny, tiny laptop. Weighs less than 2 lbs). When I put it to sleep, I actually only lose about 0.1% per hour -- about 10X less than MS suggests. Indeed, last night I put it to sleep at around 6pm and the battery life was 89%. This morning I woke it up at about 9am (15 hours later) and battery life was 88%.

In other words, is MS just blowing smoke to make "Connected Standby" sound better than it really is? On virtually every laptop I've owned in the last 5 years, I lose WAY less than 1% per hour in Sleep mode. And based on what I'm reading in this forum, it sounds like people using SP3 are losing far more than then 0.1% per hour that I lose on my laptop in traditional Sleep mode.

So what's the truth? Is MS greatly exaggerating its claims of the battery benefits of Connected Standby?

Is there any way to disable Connected Standby and to just use regular old traditional Sleep mode on a Surface Pro 3? Frankly, if I were to own an SP3, I don't really need it to have a perpetual internet connection--that's what my smartphone is for. I'd rather have the improved battery life.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm thinking about buying an SP3 as a laptop replacement and am reading various threads in this forum. A very helpful forum, overall, so many thanks to all who regularly contribute.

On to my question. I understand that ctitanic is just quoting from Microsoft here (above), but does Microsoft's description sound wrong to anybody else? It says that in traditional sleep you get, on a 45-watt-hour battery, "just under 100 hours of Sleep time on a full charge." That would mean on traditional Sleep you are losing about 1% per hour, according to MS.

I have a Vaio Pro 11. It's an i5-4200U processor w/ 4GB ram. I am not certain, but I believe it's battery is LESS than 45-watt-hours (it's a tiny, tiny laptop. Weighs less than 2 lbs). When I put it to sleep, I actually only lose about 0.1% per hour -- about 10X less than MS suggests. Indeed, last night I put it to sleep at around 6pm and the battery life was 89%. This morning I woke it up at about 9am (15 hours later) and battery life was 88%.

In other words, is MS just blowing smoke to make "Connected Standby" sound better than it really is? On virtually every laptop I've owned in the last 5 years, I lose WAY less than 1% per hour in Sleep mode. And based on what I'm reading in this forum, it sounds like people using SP3 are losing far more than then 0.1% per hour that I lose on my laptop in traditional Sleep mode.

So what's the truth? Is MS greatly exaggerating its claims of the battery benefits of Connected Standby?

Is there any way to disable Connected Standby and to just use regular old traditional Sleep mode on a Surface Pro 3? Frankly, if I were to own an SP3, I don't really need it to have a perpetual internet connection--that's what my smartphone is for. I'd rather have the improved battery life.
Is your Sony using Sleep (S3) or Hybrid Sleep? Hybrid Sleep was created with the same goal as Connected Standby but is implemented in software rather than with a combination of Hardware, Software and Firmware.

phositadc

Is your Sony using Sleep (S3) or Hybrid Sleep? Hybrid Sleep was created with the same goal as Connected Standby but is implemented in software rather than with a combination of Hardware, Software and Firmware.

Don't know off the top of my head. I'll find out tomorrow and post back.

phositadc

Ok, I just checked the "hybrid sleep" section of Power Options in control panel, and hybrid sleep is set to "off." So I assume my Vaio Pro is using traditional sleep.

Which brings me back to my original question... is MS greatly exaggerating its claims of the benefits of connected standby? The posts I see on this forum are people losing anywhere from 0.5 to 1+% per hour in connected standby.

I'll happily take the 0.1% per hour in traditional sleep mode over losing possibly 10x more battery in connected standby!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Well.... my experience with Connected Standby is this consistently:

Last night I closed the cover at 9:30PM with 55% of my battery, woke up this morning and logged at 7 AM and I have 54% battery. I get 1-3% overnight (understanding that it goes into hibernation after 4 Hours).

malberttoo

Well.... my experience with Connected Standby is this consistently:

Last night I closed the cover at 9:30PM with 55% of my battery, woke up this morning and logged at 7 AM and I have 54% battery. I get 1-3% overnight (understanding that it goes into hibernation after 4 Hours).

Just randomly curious why you don't leave yours plugged in overnight?