What's new

Connecting SP3 to a VGA KVM switch causes screen blinking?

btrcp2000

Hello-

Need to be able to switch between older tech work laptop and SP3. I have done this in the past with my Dell XPS12, a mini display vga adapter, and an IOGEAR Extreme GCS1732 2 port KVM. The KVM will not output anything to the monitor, and just causes the SP3's screen to blink. If I connect the SP3 directly to the monitor, it works as expected, so obviously there is something about the switch it doesn't like. Any ideas?

tia

kozak79

I think the signal form the Surface Pro is weaker. Where I teach I tried to plug the overhead projector to my SP2 (it works fine from the workstation I have), but the length of the cable seems to be an issue. It would work, but there were horizontal line artifacts on the projector that were not there from the workstation computer. The signal might be too weak for the KVM. You may need a powered KVM that boosts the signal, those are pretty pricey.

OP
B

btrcp2000

The KVM is powered (iogear gcs1732). Resolution was a good thought, so before plugging in the mini DP, I lowered it all the way to 1024 by 768, same result with a blinking SP3 screen. The monitor acts like nothing is plugged in at all, so it must be something between the SP3 and the kvm

leeshor

Try restaring your Surface with everything plugged in. Watch the monitor to see if the color of the power light changes.

leeshor

You should at least have seen the light go from standby, typically orange, to blue. Your KVM or cables may be a problem.

OP
B

btrcp2000

Dp/Vga Adapter works fine connected directly to the monitor. It's the switch, confirmed with a test on a similar model at home. Same thing happened.

RottenMutt

the try your display port to vga adapter using another device that has display port adapter.
you do realize that display port to vga adapters are active, not passive; which leaves the problem to be the adapter...

OP
B

btrcp2000

No, did not realize that and barely know what it means. :). But if that's the case, why would the adapter work if directly connected to the monitor? I called iogear, who said the switch is not compatible with dp, so I ordered a dp switch from amazon, will report back in case anyone else runs into this. Also wound up swapping the sp3 because it had an issue with standby vs hibernate that Microsoft store couldn't figure out, so they gave me a new one even though I bought@ best buy. Good customer service.