What's new

SP3 mini display port to DVI tops out at 1920x1080 resolution

kurtkurtosis

I have a NEC PA271W 27" monitor which should get a resolution of 2560X1440 using DVI as I am using a KVM IoGear KVM GCS1204 switch. I have 3 other computers connected with DVI single-link to the switch that max out the resolution of my NEC monitor. I believe the cable between the KVM and NEC monitor is double link, but I am not sure if that even matters.

I just puchased the SP3 docking station and am connecting with mini-display to DVI single-link connection to to my KVM switch. I am only getting a resolution of 1920x1080 which is a bit fuzzy.

Do I need to buy a mini-display port to display port cable and plug the cable directly (by pass the KVM switch) into my NEC monitor to the the 2450 resolution I want?

OP
K

kurtkurtosis

I researched the problem a bit more and also took out the KVM connection by connecting the SP3 mini Displayport directly to the NEC monitor DVI-D port. Indeed the resolution is stuck at 1920x1080 which does not look sharp.

I believe this is a limitation of converting a DisplayPort signal to DVI-DuaLink through the able. I ordered a mini Displayport to Displayport cable (as the monitor also supports DisplayPort but the KVM switch does not). I think it will give me the maximum resolution of 2560 on my monitor, but we shall seee. Unfortunately, if will not allow me to use my KVM setup, at least not for video. I believe, I will have to switch video on the NEC monitor and keyboard/mouse/sound then on the KVM which is awkward but doable.

OP
K

kurtkurtosis

I got the mini displayport to displayport cable and that now allows me to use the full 2560 x 1440 resolution of the monitor with SP3. So apparently, mini displayport to DVI-D limits the resolution to 1920 x 1080.