What's new

Cortana for Surface Pro 3

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I tried Cortana last night because why not. "hey Cortana" doesn't work, the settings panel is just glitched out, Cortana is apparently not supported in my location despite the UK being a location supported by Cortana, and it take her so long to analyse each word (downloaded the speech packs etc to help her out) that there is no point having it enabled at all. I managed to set an alarm for 7am, which took about 5 minutes to do, and she couldn't recognize any command after I had done that other than "turn off" which did nothing but close the Cortana search window.

Cyb3rDud3

I tried Cortana last night because why not. "hey Cortana" doesn't work, the settings panel is just glitched out, Cortana is apparently not supported in my location despite the UK being a location supported by Cortana, and it take her so long to analyse each word (downloaded the speech packs etc to help her out) that there is no point having it enabled at all. I managed to set an alarm for 7am, which took about 5 minutes to do, and she couldn't recognize any command after I had done that other than "turn off" which did nothing but close the Cortana search window.
I wish I knew what could be different, I'm in the UK and it works perfectly fine. The recognition is as good as instant, just tried to set an alarm for midday and that is done as good as near realtime. Odd how we can have such different experiences.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wish I knew what could be different, I'm in the UK and it works perfectly fine. The recognition is as good as instant, just tried to set an alarm for midday and that is done as good as near realtime. Odd how we can have such different experiences.

On mine it is like some Bond film. Each word has to go through a lengthy "code breaking" mission, with symbols and letter combinations flashing past until it settles on something and moves on to the next word. My internet might not be fiber or such, but even 10mbps should be fast enough for something like this (if it is the internet at fault) because if it isn't, this feature is gonna be a whole lot of useless to a whole lot of people. I've not checked, but I assume Cortana works offline, it would be absurd for it not to.

OP
M

Modification

Does anyone else have trouble having Cortana give you directions? I asked cortana to give me directions to this place and after saying something along the lines of "pulling up directions now", nothing happened.

Surface 3 Geek

Cortana appears to run OK for me EXCEPT that she does not respond to "hey Cortana" (the appropriate setting is ON) - I need to press the mic picture in the search bar in order for her to hear...

Hey, go to settings and search for cortana settings. Turn on the "Hey Cortana" Option and the problem is solved :)

OP
M

Modification

Well cortana stopped responding to me now. "Hey Cortana" no longer activates her. This happened after I set the voice recognition to me only. It worked, but only for a while. Once it stopped, I reactivated the "respond to everyone" option but that still didn't fix it.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
After about hour with support for surface pro 3 being told that Cortana doesn't work in the uk yet

Glad to hear something semi official, this is kinda what I figured. I checked all the tick boxes suggested/required but it told me it was not available in my language and region. I think they were overly optimistic with their launch date..

ShiroEd

Glad to hear something semi official, this is kinda what I figured. I checked all the tick boxes suggested/required but it told me it was not available in my language and region. I think they were overly optimistic with their launch date..

This is simply not the case.
Cortana (and "Hey Cortana") worked initially for me. Now "Hey Cortana" doesn't work but if I click on the mick icon she starts to listen. Cortana works perfectly on my desktop including "Hey Cortana" so the 'not working in the UK' is not true. The bug must be something else.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
On setting up mine it did moan that the mic wasn't ideal hardware for Cortana but it seems to work ok.

Edit just noticed the comment about UK.... It did work in Spain. Haven't tried in uk yet.....