What's new

Couple of Q's about my new i5 (2017)

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
So I'm enjoying my new toy so far, but I have a couple of questions that hopefully someone can help with. Both shown in the screenshot below.

upload_2018-9-15_9-58-5.png

1) how come my user directory is truncated as shown (not my full first name)? I signed into the computer with my microsoft account when I set it up and the name shows correctly when I log in.

Secondly why is the quality of the button fonts so poor on these set up screens. I've noticed it on the Adobe set up screen too... very blocky text. The text renders fine elsewhere.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, @Moonsurface ,

1) Windows assigns the name of your User folder upon initialization of the PC. However, if your Microsoft account already has a PC registered (you must have another computer somewhere), a short version of your first name is chosen. For example, my first name is "Douglass", but I have two Surface Book units. On one, my user folder is c:\Users\doug . But when I added a second PC months later, the new Surface folder was named C:\Users\dougl , though I had entered my name the same way upon initialization.

This bothered me at first, but I realized the User names must be unique in order to keep the folder names properly sorted when syncing multiple PCs with OneDrive. Now, I don't mind the distinction, though "dougl" is a strange name. I would have preferred a way to choose something during the initial setup which would be acceptable to the OneDrive / Microsoft / Windows ecosystem, and me too. I'm glad it did not just call me "steve".

2) The resolution Cygwin is using for the setup is chosen by Cygwin deliberately, for multi-platform compatibility. Cygwin is looking to set up a cache for install files. Rather than use the Windows interface, programmers have chosen to be more generic. This does not indicate any deficiency of your Windows installation.

OP
Moonsurface

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks the first makes sense I didn't think of that I have another surface and a desktop on my account.
The second the resolution seems to the similar for adobe creative cloud install too though but I guess that makes sense,.