What's new

CPU seemingly stuck at 2.49 GHz since Jan. updates

beq

Just curious, would the i5-4300U CPU's new features over the 4200U (such as VT-d) make any difference to our Client Hyper-V experience on the SP2?

Or are the new features only relevant in enterprise scenarios and management?

CreativeLemming

Just curious, would the i5-4300U CPU's new features over the 4200U (such as VT-d) make any difference to our Client Hyper-V experience on the SP2?

Or are the new features only relevant in enterprise scenarios and management?

No, don't think so. See some of my other posts around this. The surface/laptop has no peripherals that would be able to take advantage of this as they're all shared by the host OS so aren't available for exclusive direct guest access.

olimjj

No, don't think so. See some of my other posts around this. The surface/laptop has no peripherals that would be able to take advantage of this as they're all shared by the host OS so aren't available for exclusive direct guest access.

You make a good point. I am not sure how this would be implemented or what added prerequisites or future features would be necessary.

jrapdx

Yes. Even though I have not to date found occasion or need to use that idea, I also found it interesting and a potential future application.

Still have to find out more, but it seems like an alternative to Hyper-V since it would be booting into the OS installed in the VHD. As it could be a wide variety of OS, including older versions of Windows, I wonder if there are issues with Secure Boot, etc., or if the method bypasses such hurdles.

I'm thinking, perhaps erroneously, that it would be an expeditious way to set up dual (multi-) booting. And that would be interesting indeed...

olimjj

Still have to find out more, but it seems like an alternative to Hyper-V since it would be booting into the OS installed in the VHD. As it could be a wide variety of OS, including older versions of Windows, I wonder if there are issues with Secure Boot, etc., or if the method bypasses such hurdles.

I'm thinking, perhaps erroneously, that it would be an expeditious way to set up dual (multi-) booting. And that would be interesting indeed...

Very plausible hypothesis. Perhaps contacting the author might resolve some of the questions as an alternative to creating an experimental model.

CreativeLemming

You should be able to using VHD boot for other Windows 7/8 installations (although not XP, or from encrypted volumes) - you can find plenty of guides around on how to do this.

As for other OSes, I tried once but gave up early when realising that Ubuntu has no native kernel/loader support for the VHD layout/format - the loader would need to understand the VHD on-disk format (as well as the container file system's format). Some 3rd party solution exists (existed?), but don't know if things have changed in the Linux world (FWIW, Ubuntu had WUBI, which isn't VHD but the same concept although no longer supported I believe).

jrapdx

You should be able to using VHD boot for other Windows 7/8 installations (although not XP, or from encrypted volumes) - you can find plenty of guides around on how to do this.

As for other OSes, I tried once but gave up early when realising that Ubuntu has no native kernel/loader support for the VHD layout/format - the loader would need to understand the VHD on-disk format (as well as the container file system's format). Some 3rd party solution exists (existed?), but don't know if things have changed in the Linux world (FWIW, Ubuntu had WUBI, which isn't VHD but the same concept although no longer supported I believe).

AFAIK some current Linux distributions, and FreeBSD 10.0, now come with Hyper-V drivers "built-in" so that these OS will run in a Hyper-V VM and have access to host services such as networking and storage (disks, etc.). And I know this works quite well with FBSD, as well as CentOS, and Suse versions I've tried. (FBSD v10.0 is offered pre-installed in a VHD, convenient and ready to go.)

What I don't know is if such a VHD will work from the Windows boot menu. It's not the kind of thing I'd do casually re: risk of system breakage. I've not yet seriously tried to dig around for info, e.g., search the FBSD mailists, among other places, but it's on my agenda of projects to tackle.

jrapdx

Very plausible hypothesis. Perhaps contacting the author might resolve some of the questions as an alternative to creating an experimental model.

Good idea, though I'd guess kind of a long shot whether the author (or anyone) has success booting a non-Windows OS installed in a VHD. In principle I imagine it would work, but what are the odds some devilish details will get in the way... :)

olimjj

Good idea, though I'd guess kind of a long shot whether the author (or anyone) has success booting a non-Windows OS installed in a VHD. In principle I imagine it would work, but what are the odds some devilish details will get in the way... :)

You are right. I believe our experiences with SP2 has made up hyper aware of things that could wrong. Murphy's Law is not yet defunct.

CreativeLemming

And I know this works quite well with FBSD, as well as CentOS, and Suse versions I've tried. (FBSD v10.0 is offered pre-installed in a VHD, convenient and ready to go.).

That's right, although 'boot from VHD' is not dependent in any way on Hyper-V (VHD is just a virtual disk format).

When running an OS from a VHD image within Hyper-V, it's the virtual environment (Host OS & Drivers) that virtualise the VHD layout and presents a standard disk layout to the guest OS. When booting from VHD, Hyper-V is not involved at all so the OS you're booting needs native support for VHD and NTFS etc.. in the bootloader, just to get the OS bootstrapped. Windows 7/8 has native support, Linux loaders/Kernels do not.

How to modify linux kernel for mounting a vhd file at boot time and load the system from it? - Stack Overflow

This is the devilish detail that you will encounter, I'm pretty sure. If you do get it working though, please please post a How To.

EDIT: This is the 3rd party software I mentioned, VMLite VBoot, that might help with bootstrapping: http://www.vmlite.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51&Itemid=148

Last edited:

Dim-Ize

I suppose since I'm asking the question, the answer will be "No". :)

But, do I need to go through the installation of Hyper-V as in reading, it isn't enabled by default?

The virtual sandbox is a great benefit, but for my use wouldn't be necessary. However, while reading this thread, it seems that battery life could be extended.

olimjj

It is not enabled by default
I suppose since I'm asking the question, the answer will be "No". :)

But, do I need to go through the installation of Hyper-V as in reading, it isn't enabled by default?

The virtual sandbox is a great benefit, but for my use wouldn't be necessary. However, while reading this thread, it seems that battery life could be extended.

It is not enabled by default. You can enable it in Programs and Features- under Turn windows features on or off