What's new

Did Your SP3 Come with BitLocker Fully Enabled?

graye

OK, I'm confused... When I got my i7/256 SP3 I had a "little yellow triangle" icon together with the traditional padlock icon overlay for BitLocker. I had assumed that the yellow triangle was because I had not yet run the BitLocker "setup/configuration".

I did an "image backup" of my entire system using Acronis (via an external bootable USB flash drive), so I can tell with certainty that my C drive was NOT encrypted at that time. (I can mount the image on another system and see the contents).

So, a few days later, I ran the BitLocker setup/configuration and now the little yellow triangle has gone way...

But, now, I understand that most everyone else didn't have a yellow triangle when they first got their SP3. Is that correct? Can somebody else run the "manage-bde" command on their SP3 to see if I'm crazy?

Here is what I get (after performing the setup/configuration):

C:\windows\system32>manage-bde -status C:
BitLocker Drive Encryption: Configuration Tool version 6.3.9600
Copyright (C) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Volume C: [Windows]
[OS Volume]
Size: 232.73 GB
BitLocker Version: 2.0
Conversion Status: Used Space Only Encrypted
Percentage Encrypted: 100.0%
Encryption Method: AES 128
Protection Status: Protection On
Lock Status: Unlocked
Identification Field: Unknown
Key Protectors:
TPM
Numerical Password

ctitanic

By default is not encrypted.

Capture.JPG

I don't remember having a yellow triangle. I do have the padlock on the C: drive icon. My manage bde status is the same as yours.

I also remember answering a question as part of the initial setup whether I wanted the drive "encrypted" or "protected" or some such wording. I answered yes.

OP
graye

graye

So, I wonder if it's just the i7/256 models that didn't have it enabled from default?

I also wonder if the "little yellow triangle" had to do with me turning off "secure boot" in the UEFI BIOS (and nothing to do with me running the BitLocker setup). Since I re-enabled secure boot at about the same time?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
So, I wonder if it's just the i7/256 models that didn't have it enabled from default?

I also wonder if the "little yellow triangle" had to do with me turning off "secure boot" in the UEFI BIOS (and nothing to do with me running the BitLocker setup). Since I re-enabled secure boot at about the same time?
I'll go with the futzing caused the yellow triangle.

I think Frank's are all confused :) he says it was on but image says off... probably due to futzing also

dman27

I upgraded from the i5 Version to the I7 256 GB Version and bit locker was enabled by default. This may have happened when it pulled all of my existing settings after logging in.

bcarney

I don't recall if mine came enabled or not; however, if it wasn't, it enabled itself upon logging into my Microsoft account. I had to disable something to install an old device driver, and had to retrieve the BitLocker keys via my MS account. Heck, I hadn't even heard of BitLocker before I had to do that...

bluegrass

I haven't touched bit locker since I bought my i7 a couple weeks ago and it shows an open lock on drive C. Not sure what the open lock means but it does say the bit locker is enabled. I'm just a blue collar user and don't have a need for encryption on my hard disk anyway. I hope being enabled, it doesn't come back to haunt me someday.

To me, I would think that if someone figured out my login password, they would have no problems looking and copying any data they wanted off of my computer & that's the way I want to keep it.