What's new

Does Surface perform similar to windows on desktop?

Alenna

Hello, I'm a prior ipad owner. I owned a ipad for a whopping two weeks until I decided to kick it to the curb. The reason because of how closed source it is. I am unable to properly view my downloaded files like one will do with pc. I can't even properly download my portfolio website for offline viewing. Having to use things like itunes and stuff to view my files is not cutting it. I want easy and standard access.

My point is I'm considering trading in my ipad and picking up a windows surface. I have the following questions before I make the jump:

1. Am I able to easily transfer folder(s) and view them on the Windows Surface, just like how I am able to on my PC?
  2. Can I add shortcuts to FILES on Windows Surface? For example a shortcut to one of my homepages home files so my client can easily view my websites on the Windows Surface
  3. Is Windows Surface good at rendering css3/jquery/javascript? Are the browsers on it up to par with PC?
  4. What features will I be missing if I go with the older versions of Windows Surface? I'm considering getting either a 1 or 2. I don't want too much, I just want to be able to show off my websites in my portfolio websites easily and efficiently to my clients.

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

#1, 2 and 3 absolutely, just like a desktop/laptop.

#4 is a little less certain as the older models, especially the 1 and 2 are just that, old, much slower. If you wanted to get an older models I would stick with the Surface Pro 3. Best Buy has some deals on them, new.

revmike

Welcome to the forum

#1, 2 and 3 absolutely, just like a desktop/laptop.

#4 is a little less certain as the older models, especially the 1 and 2 are just that, old, much slower. If you wanted to get an older models I would stick with the Surface Pro 3. Best Buy has some deals on them, new.
Who you calling old? says my surface pro 2. You young whippier snapper:D

ScottyS

I have the SP3 core I7 8GB RAM, and it is my "desktop". I don't even have a dock. When I get home I just plug in power charger, mini DisplayPort and USB3 hub. I use a 27" monitor, wireless keyboard and mouse, one 1TB and two 2GB HDs and DVD burner.

It's not a Windows Surface, it's a Microsoft Surface Pro (which means it has Intel core i5 or i7 proc.) running Windows 10 OS.

@leeshor is right. I had the SP1 with this same setup and it worked fine, in 2013. In 2015 and for 2016 the SP4 would be the best to get (i5 or i7) but SP3 would be the best buy.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Id just say if you want to show something to clients on the screen the larger SP3 screen is by far the superior device compared to a 1 or 2. How much is too much? ;)

You might consider a *Certified* Factory Refurb, to save cost. Fully test and inspect it right away and return it if not completely satisfied.

johnj2803

As with other posters, I would get at least the surface 3. (a pro 3 if you can)

But if getting an "older" surface make sure that:
1. It is the PRO line and not the RT line
2. If you are getting a surface 3 (not the pro), it acts like a "pro", meaning it runs a desktop OS, but it is smaller in size (10" as opposed to 12" of the pro)