What's new

Downloading apps without having to have hotmail account.

boscawen46

My wife is trying to download an app onto her Surface RT from the store. She is being told that she has to open a hotmail account to do this.She has already set up her email using a local account but she does not want this being affected by her opening a hotmail account and it taking over or conflicting.
If she opens a hotmail account purely to download apps will her local email account be unaffected?
If anyone can give advice it would be much appreciated. Thanks

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

It can be done with Hotmail, Outlook.com or a Windows Live account but you don't have to actually use the account. Do it on the WEB then use that mail account to sign in. It will have no affect on your local mail unless you want to set it up.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You have to be cautious with this it wants to tie the Microsoft account to your Logon ID as I recall the default option though merges the Local ID with the Microsoft ID. there's a thread here somewhere that explains it in more detail.

No you cannot download apps from the Store without a Microsoft Account.

DanielN

It doesn't have to be hotmail, I use my gmail account, my gf uses her yahoo.com account. You just have to tie that email address as a Microsoft account.