What's new

Email notification help

mdanehart

I need some guidance. I have tried everything I know to receive a audible notification of a new email in the settings, no success. Is this possible?

kristalsoldier

I seem to get audible notifications on my Surface 2 (using the Mail app) by default. But it involves having the volume turned up a bit.

ctitanic

In the Sound configuration in the Control Panel there is an option to change Windows Sounds and one of them is to set what sound to use when an email arrive.

Screenshot (54).png

But that won't do anything if the email notification is not turned on in the Mail Account Settings.

trippma

If you've already turned on notifications for email under PC Settings then as ctitanic mentioned you need to check within the mail app. By default the app is set to only notify when you receive mail from a favorite contact. To turn on notifications for all messages:

Start Mail
Open the Charms Bar > Settings > Accounts
Select the account you wish to receive notifications on (notifications are set on a per account basis)
Scroll down to 'Show email notifications' and change to 'All email'.

Hope this helps.

kristalsoldier

If you've already turned on notifications for email under PC Settings then as ctitanic mentioned you need to check within the mail app. By default the app is set to only notify when you receive mail from a favorite contact. To turn on notifications for all messages:

Start Mail
Open the Charms Bar > Settings > Accounts
Select the account you wish to receive notifications on (notifications are set on a per account basis)
Scroll down to 'Show email notifications' and change to 'All email'.

Hope this helps.

Good point!

OP
M

mdanehart

Thanks for the responses. I have the Surface 2 and the Nokia 2520 RT tablet. The Surface email notifications work fine, its the Nokia that is having the issue since they are both Windows OS. I have duplicated all settings equal to the Surface, but no success with the 2520. I have submitted an email to Nokia support. Thanks for the advice.

Has any one figured out a fix for this? I have a Surface RT and a Surface 2. E-mail notifications work on the RT, but not on the Surface 2. Settings appear to be identical for both. Any suggestions?

It turns out that my settings were not identical. On the Surface RT (the unit that showed notifications properly) "Download new e-mail" was set to "Every 15 minutes"; whereas on the Surface 2, this setting was set to "As items arrive". Changing the setting on the Surface 2 to "Every 15 minutes" fixed the issue, only I wish it worked on the other setting as well. The issue appears to be that my e-mail account is a POP3. Is it possible to have this work properly (i.e. using the "As items arrive" setting) by setting this up through Outlook.com?