What's new

External Blu-Ray Drive help

Fluke

Hi Guys,
Does anyone watch blu-rays on their surface 2 pro?
I've just got a Samsung external drive that came with Cyberlink PowerDVD10 but the software won't install.
I've also tried VLC with the required mods it needs to play blu-rays but can't get that to work either :(
Can anyone offer any help?
Thanks, Dan

leeshor

Welcome to the forum Dan

I assume you have restarted your Surface. When you are installing PowerDVD what types of problems are you running into?

Is that the USB Samsung drive? Does your Surface recognize it OK?

markwparrish

I have no problems using my Samsung SE-406 external USB Blu-Ray drive on my SP2 Pro. However I am using it with Power DVD 13. Power DVD 10 predates Windows 8 and may not be compatible. If you can find some type of blu-ray software compatible with Windows 8.1 you should be okay.

olimjj

Hi Guys,
Does anyone watch blu-rays on their surface 2 pro?
I've just got a Samsung external drive that came with Cyberlink PowerDVD10 but the software won't install.
I've also tried VLC with the required mods it needs to play blu-rays but can't get that to work either :(
Can anyone offer any help?
Thanks, Dan

If the Cyberlink disk is Power DVD Standard it wont play Blu-ray. You need Power DVD 10 BD Express or later.
I use Power DVD 12 and a Pioneer BDR-XD04 external USB Drive and I have had no problems with installation and playback. My own experience is that the free software that comes with DVD players are not full featured and are an enticement to upgrade. Furthermore I am not sure that Version 10 is 8.1 compatible.

OP
F

Fluke

Got it working guys after installing a free trial of TotalMedia Theatre 6.
It's a very nice program but is expensive at around $80. I really like the fact that it loads the menus just like regular blu ray players do, where at lot of other companies players don't show the menus at all.
Does anyone know of a cheaper player that plays full menus?
I'm keen on trying Nero Platinum 2014 due to all it's other features - does this play full menus? Typically their trial version has the blu ray player disabled.
Thanks Dan