What's new

Few things holding me from pro2

Martin Kovac

Hi guys,

I am tempted to switch from my MacBook Air 2011 to Surface Pro 2, just few things are holding back my decision.

I am not asking for battery life since this was extensively tested, but can you please tell me how fast gets it to charge, lets say from 20% to full battery ? My Air is awful in that matter, often takes 3,5 hours to charge it that way :(

Second thing is that the way I use computer is that I need to work with mouse and full speed wifi without any issues. I had tested Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro for few days and as well as my Air, wifi with Bluetooth at the same time are not working flawlessly. There are several threads on this forum about wifi performance, but I would actually like to ask about if there are any issues in combination of usage of BT and wifi. I am really used to work with mouse :)

Third thing is about if TypeCover 2 if it is as good for typing as my Air is, since this is area where this MacBook it really excels, but I think I need to test that somewhere...

Thanks for answers and suggestions.

Martin

oion

Hi guys,

I am tempted to switch from my MacBook Air 2011 to Surface Pro 2, just few things are holding back my decision.

I am not asking for battery life since this was extensively tested, but can you please tell me how fast gets it to charge, lets say from 20% to full battery ? My Air is awful in that matter, often takes 3,5 hours to charge it that way :(

It takes 2-4 hours to fully charge your Surface Pro or Surface Pro 2 battery from an empty state.

Second thing is that the way I use computer is that I need to work with mouse and full speed wifi without any issues. I had tested Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro for few days and as well as my Air, wifi with Bluetooth at the same time are not working flawlessly. There are several threads on this forum about wifi performance, but I would actually like to ask about if there are any issues in combination of usage of BT and wifi. I am really used to work with mouse :)

A couple of the threads have discovered that certain BT mice will interfere with the wifi, but that may also depend on the router. There are lots of variables involved, unfortunately, as BT+wifi works perfectly well for some people and not others.

Third thing is about if TypeCover 2 if it is as good for typing as my Air is, since this is area where this MacBook it really excels, but I think I need to test that somewhere...

Thanks for answers and suggestions.

Martin

I haven't heard any negatives about the Type covers, honestly. But that's something you have to try out yourself.

Adding to what Oion said;

The mouse and bluetooth issue seems to be Windows 8.1 related, meaning drivers. People with the same hardware started having issues after upgrading from 8 to 8.1

My Surface Pro has never taken more than 2 hours to charge. I don't know on the SP2, since I don't have it yet, but suspect it is about the same. I like, but don't love, the type cover. The keys are very well made, but the keyboard is still small, so it will throw touch typists off.

CrippsCorner

I have the original Type Cover and get on great with it. It's my full time keyboard. I've not used the Air's keyboard but is it anything like the separate iMac one? That's my favourite for sure, and I definitely think Apple wins there... much as it annoys me to say so! Although of course I could use that with the Surface anyway.

The mouse and bluetooth issue seems to be Windows 8.1 related, meaning drivers. People with the same hardware started having issues after upgrading from 8 to 8.1

Unfortunately I can confirm that my bluetooth/Wi-Fi issues are exactly the same with Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 so that ruling doesn't go for everyone. Although, I find having one device is fine, but two kills it. What I mean is I can run my bluetooth mouse with Wi-Fi going and not see any slowdown at all, but when I fire up my second device (in this case a bluetooth audio receiver) it totally destroys my Wi-Fi.

mtalinm

My mileage varies. I type 100+wpm and love the type cover. The original had slightly more key travel and was a teensy bit preferable, but type cover 2 is great. I use it all day, every day, no external keyboard. And the backlighting is cab.

Have tried many times to make peace with the touch cover but can't quite get there. If they had just done raised home-row guides instead of hard-to-locate indentations it would probably work.

I like, but don't love, the type cover. The keys are very well made, but the keyboard is still small, so it will throw touch typists off.

Ruffles

My SP2 charges very quickly...I'd say very close to 2 hours. I use a gigibyte blue tooth mouse and can sometimes detect a little lag during large wifi transfers but it's so slight I don't worry about it.