What's new

Getting my new Surface Pro 3 today.

VickiFL

Hi everyone. I am getting a Surface Pro 3 today. I am new to this forum, and have been lurking a bit. I thought I would go ahead and make an account in case I have questions, or I can help someone else eventually. This is my first hybrid. I am used to laptops, and I've never used Win 8.1 either. Back in the day, I started on Win 3.1, so I should be able to figure this out. :) I also just bought a Lumia Windows phone, and am hoping I can pair the two devices. I'll be going to the Microsoft store this weekend.

I bought the i3 because I won't be using it for gaming. Just home school stuff, web browsing, email, pictures, etc. Nothing very demanding. I also bought a 64GB Micro SD card, the purple type cover, and an additional sleeve. I don't think I will need anything else for a while. I saw the dock, but not really sure it's a necessary item for me. Why do people really need them?

Thank you! :)

Liam2349

What kinds of quirks?

Some people have run into issues. Some devices have yellow lines at the edge of the screen, which is not a Surface specific issue.

Personally my device has been flawless, aside from IE sometimes using 25% of my CPU and the fan coming on... always 25%, so it's a random bug, but it hasn't happened since I last updated so I'm hoping it's gone!

Telstar1948

The dock is more useful if you want a desktop setup with a number of peripherals attached to it. Mine is set up this way and it works really good for an office arrangement. If you have multiple monitors, printers, scanners, other USB devices etc. then the dock will be really handy. It charges your SP3 too.

Chuck_IV

I had an i3 but after a few days (and realizing Staples had a $100 off coupon I could use) I went up to the i5 128gb version.

The one issue I had with the i3 was that a few apps from the Windows store didn't work on the i3. However when I switched to the i5, they ran fine. The couple that come to mind are Minion Rush and the ESPN app. What's interesting is they also don't run on my daughter's i3 based laptop either.

So my guess is some poorly written apps, but just giving a heads up to my issue with the i3.

OP
VickiFL

VickiFL

I had an i3 but after a few days (and realizing Staples had a $100 off coupon I could use) I went up to the i5 128gb version.

The one issue I had with the i3 was that a few apps from the Windows store didn't work on the i3. However when I switched to the i5, they ran fine. The couple that come to mind are Minion Rush and the ESPN app. What's interesting is they also don't run on my daughter's i3 based laptop either.

So my guess is some poorly written apps, but just giving a heads up to my issue with the i3.

I hate hearing that because I just bought an i3. I don't do a whole lot of things that require a lot of power, plus I like that I can just go to Windows to download programs.