What's new

GPS with Windows 10 on Surface Pro 3

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Tested the Bluetooth QSTARZ 818XT 10Hz (US$90) with Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 3.

Works great.
Connected via Bluetooth mapped into COM5. No special setup effort needed.

Here it is live with Google Maps (gMaps) app, making a very nice combination for travel directions, etc.

419+s+WAx2L.jpg

Screenshot (2).png

Screenshot (3).png

Screenshot (4).png

Screenshot (5).png

I have my phone for this, but it's nice to show how Surface can be so versatile with external hardware. Heck you can even put a hundred thousand dollar analytical instrument on it and SP3 will do some cool analysis that are used in technical/manufacturing industries if one wants it.

EpilEpic

I'm thinking of using the SP3 in my car...I'm currently using my phone but I hate the fact that I need to switch apps constantly (spotify / OBD-app / GPS / ...) The screen is simply too small.

So I'm thinking of upgrading it to my SP3 since it has way more possibilities. But with that in mind I was wondering if:

1) How is this GPS device powered? Is it on batteries or does it require a constant power source?
2) Can I charge my SP3 by using a car power outlet? I do have convertor but it's rather bulky so I was wondering if there are any good car chargers available for the SP3?

Thanks for the information above btw!
Greets from Belgium

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
1) How is this GPS device powered? Is it on batteries or does it require a constant power source?
2) Can I charge my SP3 by using a car power outlet? I do have convertor but it's rather bulky so I was wondering if there are any good car chargers available for the SP3?

1) Car chargers are readily available. Search for "car charger surface pro 3" (see attached picture)

2) The QSTARZ 818XT has an internal battery. You may power it by either using its internal battery, USB to Surface Pro 3, or USB charger to any other source. Communication is via BlueTooth.

car_charger_SP3.png

EpilEpic

1) Car chargers are readily available. Search for "car charger surface pro 3" (see attached picture)

2) The QSTARZ 818XT has an internal battery. You may power it by either using its internal battery, USB to Surface Pro 3, or USB charger to any other source. Communication is via BlueTooth.

Thank you, sir!