What's new

Has anyone fixed Chrome?

Has anyone figured out a good way to block ads in IE11?

Since the browser won't take plugins, I assume I need to use the hosts file or some sort of proxy. If anyone is using a product they like, please post!

mcsenerd

IE_Fun.png

I don't know what alternate IE universe everyone else is living in, but I see this WAY more often than I see anything similar in any other browser...that's all I know.

ArcticDX

I think IE works fine with the SP2, but I just downloaded Opera just to compare. Looks very nice indeed. It's been a few years since last time I used Opera, and they've evolved into a much more simplistic browser. On my desktop PCs I use Chrome. However, I'm looking for ways to reduce my involvement with Google. Or rather, Google's involvement with me.

jefhart

I just updated Chrome and tried the high DPI registry mode. It definitely looks better. Pinch-to-zoom did not work as expected, though.

I Just updated to Chrome 35. Pinch and zoom work for me, everything is crystal clear just like IE11. What's not working for you?

Macmee, what does that registry edit do? Is it still necessary with Chrome 35? Trying not to muck up my registry if there's no reason to.

WorldIRC

The reg fix works for me (Chrome 36 Beta). The fonts on a couple websites look a "bit" wonky, but I am definitely OK with it now (until more official support is implemented).

beq

Yea!
AdBlock Plus for IE (use IE11 to visit the web site, else it would redirect you to the version for your web browser): https://adblockplus.org/en/internet-explorer
IE's adblock doesn't seem as robust as FF/Chrome though. ABP for IE (was called Simple Adblock?) can only use one filter list at a time, less configurable, and I think enforces "acceptable ads" (which can be good or bad depending on your point of view). And as mentioned, not available in IE Metro. It also seems to hang up desktop IE more often than FF/Chrome. For example, Yahoo front page seems stuck with perpetual spinning wheel using ABP for IE.

Alternatively IE9+ also supports Tracking Protection Lists. Geared for tracking privacy, but can also be used with ad blocking lists semi-effectively (the standard EasyList seems to be the only one of note from Microsoft's page, though the rest are also available). Unfortunately TPLs don't even support element hiding or distinct item types IIRC. But since they still work in IE Metro, I guess it's better than nothing...

P.S. Here's a site to compare...