What's new

Having problems with time sync

LarryE1946

I have to re-set the date and time every time I turn on the Surface Pro 3. I have been communicating with the Surface team but they haven't been any help so far. If I UN-sync all settings via OneDrive, the time seems to sync properly. Well, it did for one day and then I re-sync'd everything again and it failed to sync. Has anyone else seen this problem happening or am I the only unfortunate one? All my other devices (2 desktops, and my Nokia Lumia 1520 all sync correctly, just the SP 3 won't. When I turn the SP 3 off in the evening and then turn it back on the following morning, the time is stuck at the time I turned it off the previous day and it never does sync up until I manually go in and do it and then I have to do it twice because the first time I get an error.

I'm also having a problem with it freezing up on me and it happens while browsing and during game play and I have to swipe in to get the charms for it to release. I got the i5 processor, but that shouldn't be happening when just browsing.

Any help or suggestions out there? Would really appreciate it.

Larry

OP
L

LarryE1946

I have to re-set the date and time every time I turn on the Surface Pro 3. I have been communicating with the Surface team but they haven't been any help so far. If I UN-sync all settings via OneDrive, the time seems to sync properly. Well, it did for one day and then I re-sync'd everything again and it failed to sync. Has anyone else seen this problem happening or am I the only unfortunate one? All my other devices (2 desktops, and my Nokia Lumia 1520 all sync correctly, just the SP 3 won't. When I turn the SP 3 off in the evening and then turn it back on the following morning, the time is stuck at the time I turned it off the previous day and it never does sync up until I manually go in and do it and then I have to do it twice because the first time I get an error.

I'm also having a problem with it freezing up on me and it happens while browsing and during game play and I have to swipe in to get the charms for it to release. I got the i5 processor, but that shouldn't be happening when just browsing.

Any help or suggestions out there? Would really appreciate it.

Larry

Looks like it's the time.windows.com sync site that is causing the problem. I switched to time.nist.gov and it has sync'd perfectly for almost a week now. Changed it back to time.windows.com this morning and will check it again tomorrow to see if it is again out of sync and report the findings to Microsoft.

Merlin803

I have been having the same issue with my Surface Pro 3 always having the wrong time when I turn it on.

I tried switching the time sync to every available option and none have fixed it. I also tried as was suggested elsewhere to stop and restart the Windows time service and also set it to automatic start and so far nothing has fixed the issue....

Telstar1948

My SP3 is behaving properly in this regard, so I don't know what to tell you. Obviously, something is glitched so you may have to refresh or reset to straighten it out. Perhaps some of the more technically erudite on this forum may be of more help.

My 8 day old SP3 is doing exactly this - it is as if the clock stops if it sleeps for a longer period of time (I can't narrow it down, but say more than a few hours). I am going to open a case with Microsoft tech support about this tomorrow, but I can't see it is a software issue.
I have tried manual time adjustments, and various other ntp servers but all settings have the same effect.

Merlin803

My 8 day old SP3 is doing exactly this - it is as if the clock stops if it sleeps for a longer period of time (I can't narrow it down, but say more than a few hours). I am going to open a case with Microsoft tech support about this tomorrow, but I can't see it is a software issue.
I have tried manual time adjustments, and various other ntp servers but all settings have the same effect.

Any luck with this? I have not been able to find anything to resolve this on mine.

I also posted on a Microsoft Community thread (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...when-the/2c6f2004-667f-486b-adb4-ffe9b424d877) - I was advised to return it, so I did - the new one does not have this time issue, so I can only assume the original one was defective.
I bought mine though the Microsoft Store so had to return it that way, then re-purchase - that way you get a new unit, whereas if you go through Support they will replace it with a refurb unit.

Hopefully not a sign of potential issues for all Surface owners in a few years time!

yonghong

I also posted on a Microsoft Community thread (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...when-the/2c6f2004-667f-486b-adb4-ffe9b424d877) - I was advised to return it, so I did - the new one does not have this time issue, so I can only assume the original one was defective.
I bought mine though the Microsoft Store so had to return it that way, then re-purchase - that way you get a new unit, whereas if you go through Support they will replace it with a refurb unit.

Hopefully not a sign of potential issues for all Surface owners in a few years time!
How long have you bought the Sp3?

Merlin803

Since there does not appear to be a fix for this, I contacted Microsoft and have scheduled to send mine in for replacement. I am not happy about the replacement being a refurb and it better be in "like new" condition because I have only had mine for a few months and it still is.

They mentioned a "Cmos" battery issue (who know what qualifications this person had though...). I really hope this is not something that eventually we all are going to be seeing. If so, it would be a terrible design decision...

Telstar1948

I'm told that if you buy your SP3 through the MS store and you need to return one, they credit you and you purchase another one. This means you end up with a new SP3 not a refurbished one. Don't know if this is true but that's what I heard. It seems if you just do an exchange through MS (bought my first one at Best Buy) then they will send you a refurbished one.

Merlin803

I'm told that if you buy your SP3 through the MS store and you need to return one, they credit you and you purchase another one. This means you end up with a new SP3 not a refurbished one. Don't know if this is true but that's what I heard. It seems if you just do an exchange through MS (bought my first one at Best Buy) then they will send you a refurbished one.

It sounds like that is the case, unfortunately I purchased mine at Best Buy so it sounds like I'll be getting a refurb :(

If these do have CMOS batteries, doesn't this mean that all of these units are going to have this issue sooner or later?

malberttoo

Yes I have always agreed that when possible, return to MS for a refund and then buy a new one.