What's new

Solved Help!! Can't seem to boot from USB

Knuck

After installing Windows 10 on another computer and really liking it, I decided to install it on my SP3. I have tried to boot using settings-recovery-restart now- USB device but it just reboots the SP3 bypassing the USB drive. I have successfully used this USB drive on 2 other computers using f8 to boot from USB so the drive and files should be ok. Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Turned out to be a bad flash drive. Reinstalled on new drive and worked fine. Thanks to those who tried to help.

Last edited:

Liam2349

After installing Windows 10 on another computer and really liking it, I decided to install it on my SP3. I have tried to boot using settings-recovery-restart now- USB device but it just reboots the SP3 bypassing the USB drive. I have successfully used this USB drive on 2 other computers using f8 to boot from USB so the drive and files should be ok. Any help would be appreciated.

Hold Volume down (left side of Surface) and power at the same time to boot to a bootable USB drive.

OP
K

Knuck

Hold Volume down (left side of Surface) and power at the same time to boot to a bootable USB drive.

Tried that. Doesn't help. I'm able to boot to my Windows 8.1 recovery drive but for some reason it won't boot to the Windows 10 drive even though two other non-surface computers did. Is there a special way you have to create a bootable USB drive with the tech preview files for the SP3?

Liam2349

Tried that. Doesn't help. I'm able to boot to my Windows 8.1 recovery drive but for some reason it won't boot to the Windows 10 drive even though two other non-surface computers did. Is there a special way you have to create a bootable USB drive with the tech preview files for the SP3?

Not that I am aware of - can't you run it from file explorer?

wditters

Just put the ISO on your SP3, double-click it and it will appear in Explorer as your D: drive. Just run setup from there and you're done.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did you make it on a UEFI system? Must be UEFI boot compatible. Disable Secure Boot in bios.

OP
K

Knuck

Just put the ISO on your SP3, double-click it and it will appear in Explorer as your D: drive. Just run setup from there and you're done.

I could mount and install but that would be an upgrade. I was hoping to do a clean install.

Did you make it on a UEFI system? Must be UEFI boot compatible. Disable Secure Boot in bios.

It is on a UEFI system. I tried disabling Secure Boot and received a Bitlocker key message. When I entered the key it would restart and ask for the key again.

Abushofa

I installed (upgraded) windows 10 on my sp3 and every thing went good. I usually use hibernate instead of shut down. Lately I experienced some problems when I power up my sp3 from hibernate. Sometimes, the login screen freezes until I shut down the sp3 by pressing and holding the power button. This week I noticed that when I restart the sp3, it hangs up at the Surface logo and stays there. But, I managed to restart it by pressing volume up key with power key and every thing seemed OK. But I discovered that the USB port does not work any more. I did all the procedures described in the Microsoft troubleshoot on their website. Now, I am unable to prepare a bootable flash disk and I can not make factory reset to my sp3. Any ideas? Please help.