What's new

Help identifying a driver that is causing issues

inthesahel

Over the last few weeks I have been having some strange things going on with my surface. I wrote here that I was having a blue screen that stated memory management issues I even went to MS store and they just said never seen these issues before, so do a clean install and don't install your software!

I was able to get the dump files and every 12 days I get an error and the driver listed is ntoskrnl.exe and the caused address is ntoskrnl.exe+142760

First was in March listed as DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
Then in April listed as DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Then at the end of April MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

Anyone have any thoughts on what that is?

Last edited:

leeshor

My guess is that a driver is not at fault. It may be misbehaving app but I;m guessing some sort of rootkit or other malware. Have you tried a full (custom) scan with Malwarebytes?

OP
I

inthesahel

leeshor- many thanks

Yes I have done a full scan with Malwarebytes, I also have Hitman Pro running and have done a full scan with that as well.
Both programs are saying the machine is clean.

What to do?

leeshor

Try ADWcleaner. I ran Malwarebytes on a system over the weekend and I wasn't comfortable that it found everything. ADWcleaner and then JRT, (JunkwareRemovalTool), found even more. If not an infection of some kind I vote for an app being the cause.

OP
I

inthesahel

ADW and JRT came back clean, so tend to agree with you that it maybe an app or another thought I had was that this weekend I had a hard time getting files to load from my SD card.

I might have a bad SD card- on the other side how would I find the app that is the culprit?