What's new

How do I know if my pen has enough battery?

revmike

Besides the larger screen, the use of ntrig battery powered pen is just another reason to stay with my sp2. I had an HP Slate 500 that used that setup and it was a pain to run out of battery power at a crucial time and especially when it's the spare battery.

ScottyS

BTW, just as an FYI, the pen has two sets of batteries. Aside from the AAAA you all should've seen, there are two coin cell batteries in the pushbutton end. I think they are only used when the eraser button is depressed, so they should last for a long time, but I have seen them to die. That portion of the pen is a bit tricky to re-assemble, so don't take it apart unless you suspect that those coin cells are going bad.
My pen had trouble pairing (I'd have to re-pair every time I'd try to use the OneNote button), now the blinking light doesn't come on and it wont pair. Could the button batteries be dead in just a few weeks?

drolem

Bluetooth is a bit (?!) screwy on the SP3, plus I think some pens got better FW than others, so it's hard to be certain, but I think yours is a case when it's worthwhile to check those batteries.

Make sure to note the orientation of the button cells when you take it apart.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I bought a couple of batteries for the pen at my local supermarket, they're small and easily fit inside the thin case I have for the SP3 I don't see a problem, I'd rather that than have to wait for it to recharge at an inopportune moment.

Nuspieds

Actually, I think there's nothing better for professional road warriors than readily available battery replacements at every corner store.

Would you much rather put it up for a 3hr charge instead when you really need it at that particular time?
Professional road warriors prefer to travel as lightly as possible. Sure, spare batteries for one gadget isn't a big issue, but then start multiplying that across multiple gadgets.

Look up the Logitech T630 mouse and see the minimum time it needs to recharge in order to be used again. I dare say that it would also be possible with the pen.

I switched to the T630 because I didn't want to have to bother about carrying or replacing spare batteries and it has worked out like a charm!

msolok

Professional road warriors prefer to travel as lightly as possible. Sure, spare batteries for one gadget isn't a big issue, but then start multiplying that across multiple gadgets.

Look up the Logitech T630 mouse and see the minimum time it needs to recharge in order to be used again. I dare say that it would also be possible with the pen.

I switched to the T630 because I didn't want to have to bother about carrying or replacing spare batteries and it has worked out like a charm!

There are issues with making the pen rechargeable. Things like either the pen would need to be made bigger or the internal battery much smaller (in order to accommodate the charging module and port), price would increase by a fair amount, battery life would be fairly limited, to charge you need to use your only USB port (which means you wouldn't be able to use an external drive or other device while the pen is charging).
This is not even mentioning the fact that a USB cable for charging the pen would take up far more space than even a couple of replacement batteries. While it is possible that the cable could be used for multiple devices, surely as a Road Warrior you won't even want to take the cable with you. I know I don't.

While it is a nice idea, in theory, to have a rechargeable pen, practically I can see it causing more issues. In fact I imagine there would be far more complaints about how short the battery life of the pen is and how it has to use the only USB port than they will receive from the fact that the single AAAA battery has to be replaced twice a year.

Lobo

While I understand your issues with the battery, I have to go with msolok. To me, that single AAAA battery is a really minor nuissance, heck, it can stay in the glove box until the pen starts to behave weird. I'd make a bet it'll make itself heard way before it becomes totally unusable.

By the way, this is also what bugs me with the new laptop designs in general, it's all about recharging. But I'd much rather carry an extra battery with me (keep it in the car e.g.) and pop it in right there and then whenever needed.

Nuspieds

There are issues with making the pen rechargeable. Things like either the pen would need to be made bigger or the internal battery much smaller (in order to accommodate the charging module and port), price would increase by a fair amount, battery life would be fairly limited, to charge you need to use your only USB port (which means you wouldn't be able to use an external drive or other device while the pen is charging).
This is not even mentioning the fact that a USB cable for charging the pen would take up far more space than even a couple of replacement batteries. While it is possible that the cable could be used for multiple devices, surely as a Road Warrior you won't even want to take the cable with you. I know I don't.

While it is a nice idea, in theory, to have a rechargeable pen, practically I can see it causing more issues. In fact I imagine there would be far more complaints about how short the battery life of the pen is and how it has to use the only USB port than they will receive from the fact that the single AAAA battery has to be replaced twice a year.
Well, the very first SP pen was not rechargeable, so it's not like if they were forced to and stuck with just one size. But the bottom line, though, is that this is not new technology and there is a solution out there that can be engineered. I'm reminded of the very first kickstand: Initial comments by many indicated that MS had no choice but to choose one angle, but look at it today.

Having to carry spares means additional maintenance; after all, spares do not keep their full charge forever. That used to happen to me with my shaver: My spares were either very weak or dead. Now I no longer bother; rather, at the beginning of each month, I change batteries. No more stress. :)

As far as cable is concerned, I'd be very surprised for anyone not to already have a micro-USB cable--especially Road Warriors. I can't tell the last time I purchased a device and used its charging micro-USB cable because I already have at home and for on-the-road. I end up keeping them in case a cable goes bad or something; otherwise, I do not need an extra charging cable.

Nuspieds

While I understand your issues with the battery, I have to go with msolok. To me, that single AAAA battery is a really minor nuissance, heck, it can stay in the glove box until the pen starts to behave weird. I'd make a bet it'll make itself heard way before it becomes totally unusable.

By the way, this is also what bugs me with the new laptop designs in general, it's all about recharging. But I'd much rather carry an extra battery with me (keep it in the car e.g.) and pop it in right there and then whenever needed.
Arrrrghhhh! Especially the part about carrying an extra laptop battery!! :D

I guess you probably never had one of those laptops I used to have (e.g., IBM ThinkPad W700). :) Loved it at the time, but what a beast!

As stated above, I want to reduce my maintenance efforts, so I prefer to just worry about keeping a device charged rather than worrying about it and its spare (battery).

Like my iPhone, I am more than in the habit of keeping my Bluetooth earpience, MiFi, and Logitech Mouse charged; no worries about dead batteries or carrying spares. As a matter of fact, were it not for Apple, all my portable devices would be standardized with micro-USB as the charge cable. Damn Apple! :)

However, in my never-ending quest to reduce maintenance and simplify, one day I was lucky enough to stumble on a micro-USB/Lightning single cable. Loved it so much, I decided to standardize for both home and on the road. Less cables and clutter!

Lobo

Yes, I hear you about that W700. :D

Of course, I'd much prefer my laptop to last 20 hrs flat, having not to worry about it during a workday at all, much less spares. Not being there yet, I got to go with the spares as second-best option, though.

In my case, I have to use it for hours on end in combination with totally unpredictable work hours. Always having my car close-by, having a spare in the glove box doesn't impact the weight I have to lug around yet makes up for peace of mind.