What's new

Solved How do you turn on Bitlocker without Typecover

I have a D partition on my system drive which I have encrypted with bitlocker. I do not have the System partition encrypted.

I can't turn on bitlocker if I don't have the TypeCover hooked up. When the unlock screen pops up, I touch the on screen keyboard icon to enter the password, then the unlock pop-up disappears. I touch pop-up to enter the password then the on screen keyboard disappears.

Unless I am doing something wrong, this is a MAJOR flaw in the OS.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to stop this behavior?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The entire drive came encrypted OOB, did you at some point turn this off and reconfigure?

OP
S

Silver0066

The entire drive came encrypted OOB, did you at some point turn this off and reconfigure?

Yes, I turned off bitlocker and repartitioned to put my data and documents on the D drive. I then encrypted the D drive only. I did this to save my data when I image and restore the System C drive. I experiment with software and restore my System drive when the new software does not work out. I backup my D drive separately to an encrypted USB external drive to protect the data.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to unlock a Data partition on the main drive, after rebooting, without the typecover?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Only idea i could maybe think of would be to try with the ease of access on screen keyboard. Have no experience with this kind of thing.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Short of attempting to repro which isn't happening soon could you provide more details... steps you followed, where the keys got stored etc. there may be some interaction with secure boot or not depending on if that's still on.
I could possibly look at a setup with an external drive. what's the partition type of D: details, details, details...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I would attempt as suggested the Accessibility On Screen Keyboard...osk.exe but as Bitlocker runs at the lowest levels I'm not sure any soft keyboard has that level of privilege. Other OEMs have created Firmware Level OSK solutions but Microsoft hasn't done this....

OP
S

Silver0066

Only idea i could maybe think of would be to try with the ease of access on screen keyboard. Have no experience with this kind of thing.

I would attempt as suggested the Accessibility On Screen Keyboard...osk.exe but as Bitlocker runs at the lowest levels I'm not sure any soft keyboard has that level of privilege. Other OEMs have created Firmware Level OSK solutions but Microsoft hasn't done this....

Thank you very much. That keyboard did the trick.