What's new

How Secure is Your Keyboard Pen Loop?

FlySwatter

I finally got around to attaching the pen loop; aka, Microsoft's solution to keeping your pen with your SP3 via the keyboard. I'm astonished that this solution is an adhesive tab with less than 1 square inch of surface area attached to the back of the keyboard, which has what I would describe as a felt finish.

Personally, I think the chances of mine coming off are slim because I've sandwiched the adhesive tab between the Stickerboy keyboard skin and the keyboard. Also, giving it a good going over with a hair dryer (which Stickerboy recommends for the keyboard surface anyway) gives me confidence that mine isn't likely to go anywhere.

But if I just had it stuck to the back of the keyboard with nothing but the adhesive on the back of the little tab, I'd be kind of anxious about it just plain falling off at some point. Has anyone had trouble with theirs? Does it come loose? Do you have to turn it over and rub it good and hard sometimes (oops, phrasing!) to make sure it stays put? Or does it really just stay their, behaving like it's supposed to?

ctitanic

I'm not using the loop at all. I have ended hooking it to the keyboard. Like this:

1401298082441.jpg

mitchellvii

I attached my loop to the back of the tablet right behind the volume rocker. Holds securely and pen is always with me even if I do not have the keyboard attached.

If you wish to remove it comes off easily without leaving adhesive mess.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Frank, any sign or indication of damage to the screen? That has been my only concern (as others have also mentioned) with using it in this manner. Edit: now been answered

As to the pen loop, not a chance. I'm not going to entrust a £45 pen to a bit of selotape. I'd rather keep it inconveniently tucked away in a secure pocket of my shoulder bag.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
My loop is securely stowed in a box and not being used. :D

I have carried pens with me for decades without losing them, BAU.

mitchellvii

I lose pens all the time. Luckily they don't cost $60 to replace. :).

Trust me, back of the tablet is best place for pen loop.

OP
FlySwatter

FlySwatter

I'm not using the loop at all. I have ended hooking it to the keyboard. Like this:

View attachment 3440
Clever. I note that about 1/4 inch of the pen clip can make contact with the glass surface, but due to the finish of the clip, I doubt it will scratch it.

I attached my loop to the back of the tablet right behind the volume rocker. Holds securely and pen is always with me even if I do not have the keyboard attached.

If you wish to remove it comes off easily without leaving adhesive mess.
Another good alternative, and like the idea of keeping it with the tablet.

Thanks guys.

OP
FlySwatter

FlySwatter

My loop is securely stowed in a box and not being used. :D

I have carried pens with me for decades without losing them, BAU.
I have lost dozens of pens. :( Just plain ink pens. This one I can't replace by stealing from someone's desk when they aren't looking :p