What's new

[how-to] Reverse scroll direction of the touchpad

rilot

I sussed this out today after messing with the registry.
I posted it over at XDA but I figured I'd register here and let you guys know too.

This works for my UK Touch Cover but the device ID may be different for other regions and the Type Cover.
If it doesn't work, I've detailed at the end how to find out your device ID.

Search from the start menu for regedit.exe and run it
Firstly, backup your registry with File -> Export
Next, navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\HID\V EN_MSHW&DEV_0004&SUBSYS_MSAY0001&REV_100295A&Col02 \4&365f1178&0&0001\Device Parameters"
On the right pane will be a key called "FlipFlopScroll", right-click it and select edit.
Change the value to 1
If you want to flip the horisontal scroll too, change the value "FlipFlopHScroll" to 1 as well.
Close everything and re-boot

Your touchpad will now scroll in the normal direction

If this doesn't work or if you want to confirm that the key you are editing above is correct for you:

Hit Search from the start menu and select the settings search type
Type "Device Manager" and hit enter
Look for Mice and Other Pointing Devices
Expand the tree and right mouse on "HID-Compliant Mouse"
Select "Properties" and then hit the "Details" tab.
In the drop-down box, select "Hardware IDs"
The first line will look like the middle part of the key above. Mine is: "VEN_MSHW&DEV_0004&SUBSYS_MSAY0001&REV_100295A&Col0 2" If yours is different, just look for your key in the same place and change the FlipFlopScroll values accordingly. Also, please post if yours is different so we can collect the right keys for all locations and cover types.

Happy scrolling!

surfaceguy

On the right pane will be a key called "FlipFlopScroll", right-click it and select edit.
Change the value to 1
I guess the correct name of the key is "FlipFlopWheel" - at least with my Surface RT.

But thanks anyhow for this how-to.

stlbud

I sussed this out today after messing with the registry.
I posted it over at XDA but I figured I'd register here and let you guys know too.

This works for my UK Touch Cover but the device ID may be different for other regions and the Type Cover.
If it doesn't work, I've detailed at the end how to find out your device ID.

Search from the start menu for regedit.exe and run it
Firstly, backup your registry with File -> Export
Next, navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\HID\V EN_MSHW&DEV_0004&SUBSYS_MSAY0001&REV_100295A&Col02 \4&365f1178&0&0001\Device Parameters"
Change the value to 1
If you want to flip the horisontal scroll too, change the value "FlipFlopHScroll" to 1 as well.
Close everything and re-boot

Your touchpad will now scroll in the normal direction

If this doesn't work or if you want to confirm that the key you are editing above is correct for you:

Hit Search from the start menu and select the settings search type
Type "Device Manager" and hit enter
Look for Mice and Other Pointing Devices
Expand the tree and right mouse on "HID-Compliant Mouse"
Select "Properties" and then hit the "Details" tab.
In the drop-down box, select "Hardware IDs"
The first line will look like the middle part of the key above. Mine is: "VEN_MSHW&DEV_0004&SUBSYS_MSAY0001&REV_100295A&Col0 2" If yours is different, just look for your key in the same place and change the FlipFlopScroll values accordingly. Also, please post if yours is different so we can collect the right keys for all locations and cover types.

Happy scrolling!

It's much easier now. As, they say, "There's an app for that." Download the official Trackpad Settings app from the Store.

DocGo

Thank you...thank you...thank you! I thought I was going to go nuts with the default scrolling direction.
:)

Joette

It made more sense to scroll up, and the screen moved up, and the same for down; the way it was before seemed backwards, but it's what I'm used to. I would leave it, but the mouse is opposite then, so I'd live in a confused world more than I do now!