What's new

i7 benchmarks & tests

carpecervisi

I just wanted to say thanks to bluegrass for answering all the questions and showing what he can. Much appreciated going above and beyond for the cause.

OP
B

bluegrass

IET Utility - Benchmark SP2 - 2.jpg
I installed the IET utility on my SP2 and ran the benchmark test. You can compare these results with the SP3 i7 I just purchased.
IET Untility - Benchmark SP2 - 1.jpg
View attachment 2724

Last edited:

Kif

Anandtech would be proud of you guys although you might put him out of a job. :)

JoeNathan78

So does it appear that the i7 performs better than the i5 as far as throttling?

Ive been waiting for the SP3 since the SP2 came out, but I'm worried about performance issues related to throttling. I want to have the ability to run Video Editing programs and Photoshop/Illustrator without too much fuss...

OP
B

bluegrass

be77solo - stated
"We would need to see the actual graph of the speeds/temps to determine how they compare."
"Also, the GPU clock speed is a big question as well."

So are you saying if I recorded the whole screen while running the CPU stress test and recorded it, that would be what you need to compare to the video I shot of my i7?

Are you saying I should run the Graphic Stress Test and record video of the whole 5 minutes and post it as well? I think the Graphics Frequency stayed at 599 MHz all the time.

If you have this Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, maybe you could run yours and show an example of what we need. If you don't, I found it with Google and it was easy to download and install. I wish I had a program that could record video of the screen without a camera.

be77solo

No, you don't need a full video... just a screenshot of the graph showing the run.

It's all good, I've got XTU on my i5 already and will be comparing to my i7 version that arrived today as well.

As far as GPU clock, it should start out around 1098mhz for the graphics test. The question is, what will it throttle down to when actually being used. On the i5, it drops down to 598mhz and stays there.

See this thread for more information about what we are trying to determine on the i7:

http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/sp2-vs-sp3.9945/#post-71340

grumpy

View attachment 2725 I installed the IET utility on my SP2 and ran the benchmark test. You can compare these results with the SP3 i7 I just purchased.
Be aware that this is a 4200u SP2. So from these benchmarks, it looks like there is only a 10% performance increase over the 4200u SP2. And that is with the SP3 CPU hitting higher temps...

Last edited:
OP
B

bluegrass

No, you don't need a full video... just a screenshot of the graph showing the run.

It's all good, I've got XTU on my i5 already and will be comparing to my i7 version that arrived today as well.

As far as GPU clock, it should start out around 1098mhz for the graphics test. The question is, what will it throttle down to when actually being used. On the i5, it drops down to 598mhz and stays there.

See this thread for more information about what we are trying to determine on the i7:

http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/sp2-vs-sp3.9945/#post-71340

Thank you for the link. I'm sorry I didn't know about that thread before. I saw many more graphs showing in that XTU screen shot. I haven't found a way to add the extra graphs - CPU Throttling, Graphics Frequency, & Graphic Temperature. It sound like you're very familiar with XTU. Could you give me a clue where I can add more graphs? I will be waiting to see what you come up with concerning Thermal Throttling that prevents the CPU for working like it should. I hope you get good results with your new i7. One of the reason I spent so much more for an i7 was for video editing. I know I'll still get much use out of it regardless of the throttling though.

OP
B

bluegrass

Be aware that this is a 4200u SP2. So from these benchmarks, it looks like there is only a 10% performance increase over the 4200u SP2. And that is with the SP3 CPU hitting higher temps...

Ya. I see the 334 for i7 to 300 for the i5. I wonder how this score transposes into the real world usage of the two Surfaces. I guess it depends on the applications being run.

be77solo

No apologies needed! Any and all effort is always appreciated! I'll report back once I have some time to tinker with mine as well!