What's new

i7 benchmarks & tests

bkydcmpr

Unless all these tests are run on a fresh (fully patched) install with no other software installed and compared side by side none will be nearly 100% accurate.
there are only 3 applications I installed since unbox: ixt, 3dmarks, handbrake, only for testing purpose. I feel the hardware not the software is the flimsy part at this moment. look at these numbers, they are not even logical: I got a higher score in the 1st test (ice storm) and lower at 2nd (cloud gate) higher at the 3rd, and much lower at the 4th (fire strike). wth is this?! if I got a lemon that heat up quickly, how could I get the 3rd test higher again?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you are looking for references for your future purchase, I'll say do not trust these numbers. sp3 is not like anything you have before, it's very sensitive to its thermal state, you would get totally different numbers in the different runs. my i7 got much lower scores than his, the lowest in fire strike was 466, even after undervolting it'd never gone higher than 560, here are my latest i7 scores this morning (normal core and gpu voltage):

View attachment 2758

look like a different computer than his i7, right?
Its all relative. the best Ice Storm scores for Arm platforms (iPad Air & Androidz) is below 20,000. Even throttled the performance smokes what you can get out of Arm.

I appreciate the benchmarking data people are posting, sorry that it can be confusing at times or all the time. you wont find another platform in this size/weight with this performance right now. Tweaking firmware is a normal and usual activity and starting conservatively is not a bad thing. In two to three months things should be settled out.

If your primary use is sitting at one location doing intense graphics you should look elsewhere. i.e running a nine hour anything is not the target market for an SP3 IMO. However there's nothing stopping you from doing it if it suits you. 80-90% of users don't have those needs.

In 2002 I could run 2 virtual machines on a desktop computer and it was slow but it was the best you could do at the time. Now I could do the same thing on a 12" tablet with better performance and more displays even though I could do better on a bigger device. if use case suits your need or desire, do it but if it doesn't, don't.

Until A few days ago no one even had one of these to test with, give it a little time for people to determine what is feasible or be one of those on the edge that takes a chance and discovers what's possible. Sometimes you'll be surprised at the rewards of facing the challenge but its not for everyone and that's ok too.

leeshor

OK, but something has to explain that the results are all over the planet. Including the 3rd test. I don't think that means you got a lemon.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
OK, but something has to explain that the results are all over the planet. Including the 3rd test. I don't think that means you got a lemon.
When you ran this was anything else running??? Like your connected to the internet and you mail client received or checked mail, windows or another app looked for updates... The Benchmark software vendors will tell you to run a least three times. But uploaded results by the hundreds and more can be useful as well even if some are whacked out because this is what users really do. There's always an explanation for differences but nailing it down is another story. Don't look at the top number as what you should expect but bottom numbers are almost always the result of some other process.

Benchmarks notwithstanding the real question is how does it perform for the workloads you would *typically* use this device for.

I do think benchmarking is useful in that its better that a person saying I ran blah blah and it was slow but maybe not by much and definitely not by itself. some just want to come into a room and yell fire others more subtly just whisper it.

bkydcmpr

Its all relative. the best Ice Storm scores for Arm platforms (iPad Air & Androidz) is below 20,000. Even throttled the performance smokes what you can get out of Arm.

I appreciate the benchmarking data people are posting, sorry that it can be confusing at times or all the time. you wont find another platform in this size/weight with this performance right now. Tweaking firmware is a normal and usual activity and starting conservatively is not a bad thing. In two to three months things should be settled out.

If your primary use is sitting at one location doing intense graphics you should look elsewhere. i.e running a nine hour anything is not the target market for an SP3 IMO. However there's nothing stopping you from doing it if it suits you. 80-90% of users don't have those needs.

In 2002 I could run 2 virtual machines on a desktop computer and it was slow but it was the best you could do at the time. Now I could do the same thing on a 12" tablet with better performance and more displays even though I could do better on a bigger device. if use case suits your need or desire, do it but if it doesn't, don't.

Until A few days ago no one even had one of these to test with, give it a little time for people to determine what is feasible or be one of those on the edge that takes a chance and discovers what's possible. Sometimes you'll be surprised at the rewards of facing the challenge but its not for everyone and that's ok too.
the gamer/3d/video editing WAS part of the targeting market when panos panay announced sp3, microsoft even had a webpage for the gamers, but then they found the issue and quietly changed the marketing strategy, but the "20% faster" claim had spread out . one of microsoft early digital artist reviewers switched back to sp2 because of lagging. the office ladies would never complain about sp3 of course.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
the gamer/3d/video editing WAS part of the targeting market when panos panay announced sp3, microsoft even had a webpage for the gamers, but then they found the issue and quietly changed the marketing strategy, but the "20% faster" claim had spread out . one of microsoft early digital artist reviewers switched back to sp2 because of lagging. the office ladies would never complain about sp3 of course.
You seem bitter about something. I never put much stock in marketing claims from anyone... they are all too much like political speak... not worth getting worked up over.

bkydcmpr

You seem bitter about something. I never put much stock in marketing claims from anyone... they are all too much like political speak... not worth getting worked up over.
of course I'm upset. I've waited since it was announced, pre-ordered in the first 30 seconds it started, now turns out I can't do much more than an ipad with it and have to return it, how would I feel?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
of course I'm upset. I've waited since it was announced, pre-ordered in the first 30 seconds it started, now turns out I can't do much more than an ipad with it and have to return it, how would I feel?
The iPad Air gets about 15,000 on ice storm where the SP3 gets about 25,000 on ice storm throttled.

Seneleron

Anandtech has done that fairly extensively... see their SP3 review which includes comparison with SP2. I think they did an excellent job.

Anandtech has done a review of the i7 Surface pro 3 vs the i5 surface pro 2???

Please link, I'd LOVE to see it! I'd like to see if they're on par with performance [as I suspect] or if the i7 manages to beat the SP2 i5.

Seneleron

another problem I found during the test. I started 3dmarks test and realized the sound might bother others so I plugged in my 3.5mm earbuds, you know what? it didn't stop the sound! later I tried it again when playing video seems fine but there was a few seconds delay. at this point seems sp3 switches the audio output by software, when cpu is fully loaded (like running 3dmarks) it can't take care of your headphone!

Simple problem, simple answer:

Plug in headphones. Go into playback devices, make the headphones the default device. When you unplug them it will default to onboard speakers. When you plug them in it will automatically switch them over to the headphones.

Personally, I'd feel like I bought the ENTIRELY WRONG MACHINE for my needs and made a mistake in my purchase. Some people simply DO NOT Need a desktop operating system or they're so entrenched in the apple software ecosystem that switching can be quite difficult and lengthy. In either case, I stand by my observation.

...I wonder if it'd be possibly to turn an SP3 into a hackintosh.....

[I'm not SUGGESTING it, just a random thought]

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anandtech has done a review of the i7 Surface pro 3 vs the i5 surface pro 2???

Please link, I'd LOVE to see it! I'd like to see if they're on par with performance [as I suspect] or if the i7 manages to beat the SP2 i5.
No sorry crossed up, they did i5 SP3 comparison with SP2.

In case anyone hasn't seen that.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8077/microsoft-surface-pro-3-review

They also cover performance compared to iPad... well there's not much comparison... see the numbers.

ipaq_101

You hit in on the nail man. Panay said this, Panay said that, what else is he going to say? He is a salesman and his job is to sell. If you take everything a salesman tells you so literally, than I have some beachfront property to sell you in Arizona.

It's just like Cook announcing yet another ipad and saying it's the post pc era, really? Since when did everyone start doing serious gaming and photo/video editing on an ipad or any mobile device? Never underestimate a company's desire to sell you the hot item of the moment, they will say anything to sell it to you. It's your job as the consumer to figure out if it makes sense for you.

The SP3 wasn't made to make Alienware or other gaming specific machines extinct, nothing exists in the form and factor of the SP3 that will do everything everyone wants. The machine is a compromise/balance between performance and portability, that's how I have always seen it.