What's new

i7 Gaming Potential

Sedaisan

New to Surface and pre-ordered an i7 with Iris. Do you think the SP4 i7/16/256 would be able to run an older game like Skyrim in Ultra? I've seen it running on a Surface Pro 3 i3...

Thanks for any info and enjoy the day...

barry.pearson

I remember going to a Microsoft event for the Surface Pro 3 and they had Skyrim on some of the devices to show off the power, it was set to high but the frame rate was pretty low, at a guess high teens low twenties. I would imagine you'd get a good playing experience on medium or on a lower resolution however.

I'm hoping I can use the SP4 I7,w/16GB to run Fallout 4 at low to medium. I don't want the Surface Book, although I see the dedicated card would be a good choice. I really, really wish they made the SB a SP4 w/they special keyboard w/discrete graphics. I couldn't leave the SB keyboard in a bag, and use the tablet without all the ports being on it. I would need the keyboard side attached for the most part then. Then I might as well look at the newer gaming notebooks. But I'll miss the whole point of having a tablet and pen. Augh.

daniielrp

I'm hoping I can use the SP4 I7,w/16GB to run Fallout 4 at low to medium. I don't want the Surface Book, although I see the dedicated card would be a good choice. I really, really wish they made the SB a SP4 w/they special keyboard w/discrete graphics. I couldn't leave the SB keyboard in a bag, and use the tablet without all the ports being on it. I would need the keyboard side attached for the most part then. Then I might as well look at the newer gaming notebooks. But I'll miss the whole point of having a tablet and pen. Augh.

Fallout 4? Maybe not looking at the graphics spec requirements...

NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB or equivalent

Intel graphics aren't mentioned, and they have no dedicated VRAM. You could probably run it but would be pretty poor performance.

Johnny365

I'm sure Fallout 4 will run on SP3 devices as well, but a lower resolution and effects mainly on Low. It won't look pretty and you'll see a lot of pop-in as you get closer in environnments.

kundas1

that's a pretty expensive gaming device if you ask me... nowadays you can build a nice gaming rig for like $500 bucks and have way better results... u cant bring it with you of course but then again where are you gonna game? on the bus, in class? at work? LOL and how are you going to set up your mouse and keyboard? you need a place for a "set up" like a desk...

daniielrp

that's a pretty expensive gaming device if you ask me... nowadays you can build a nice gaming rig for like $500 bucks and have way better results... u cant bring it with you of course but then again where are you gonna game? on the bus, in class? at work? LOL and how are you going to set up your mouse and keyboard? you need a place for a "set up" like a desk...

Well both games support Xbox One controller so that helps...

But $500? Maybe just on the gfx card :p

kundas1

no way, usually that's over kill, and future proof for a video card that much, I have a NVidia 750 ti 2GB card and bought it for less than $200 and on my other rig I got 2 Sapphire Dual-V R9 280X 3GB in crossfire for $280... and are both more than adequate for gaming! :p

daniielrp

no way, usually that's over kill, and future proof for a video card that much, I have a NVidia 750 ti 2GB card and bought it for less than $200 and on my other rig I got 2 Sapphire Dual-V R9 280X 3GB in crossfire for $280... and are both more than adequate for gaming! :p

Ha yeh 500 is way too overkill (though my mate did buy a Titan X... yep, for £900...)

I have a MSI 7970 with 3GB in my rig, bought it 2nd hand for £120 plus £45 for custom cooler. Plays everything just fine (and below 55 degrees) including GTA V which is why I bought it haha. So that's about $220 ish.

kundas1

exact reason I bought my 2 sapphire V R9 280 cards! lol but it turns out GTA 5 is not working well with those cards...very disappointed with GTA 5 coding and they had nerve to postpone the game twice only to have trouble with AMD Cards! sheesh!