What's new

Increase performance of Surface RT

MSurfaceWA

Agreed, the transitions are faster and it seems to lag less. I don't miss the fancy animations either. I think it should be the default setting.

d31dk

Ok, another you may want is "Animate controls and elements inside Windows" in order to get those Live Tile transitions.

I will try this "Adjust for Performance" but keeping the "Animate Controls and Elements inside Windows" turned on, otherwise i don't like how the tiles "flip" when they are updating.

DarthMengon

Aw: Increase performance of Surface RT

And These Settings are really helpful in Metro Mode too? Or just in Desktop Mode?
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

d31dk

The "Animate control....." makes the tiles update fluently even though you have disabled all the other animations to speed up the surface.
Mine feels more responsive after this, and if you swipe in from the left to access earlier used app, its there instantly
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

chatterbot

I've improved the speed of my browser by following these tips (except wasn't able to figure out how to increase the connections limit).

[GUIDE] Increase Internet Explorer Performance - xda-developers

I also changed the caching behavior so that it doesn't check for new versions of webpages for the current sessions. I noticed that this improved the speed of the back button in IE (unless it's just my imagination). I also noticed that swiping to go back and hitting the back button are roughly the same speed now, except that when swiping you can't navigate the page until it is fully loaded so it seems to take longer. If you hit the back button you can navigate the page as it loads.

I also noticeably increased my web browsing speed by changing my wireless router to a new N900 model. Update: I searched on the net and found some further tweaks to IE in general, like increasing the DNS cache and removing the 20% bandwidth reserve limit that Windows uses for Updates and such. After all of these tweaks, my Surface RT is blazing fast compared to when I first bought it.

Last edited:

chatterbot

I believe that I was able to increase my connections limit through this....

[GUIDE] Increase Internet Explorer Performance - Windows Phone Central Forums

An easier way to set maxconnectionsperserver is below ( from How do I configure Internet Explorer to download more than two files at one time? )
How to configure the connection limit by using Group Policy

1.Click Start, click Run, type gpedit.msc, and then click OK.
2.Expand User Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, expand Windows Components, expand Internet Explorer, expand Security Features, and then expand AJAX.
3.Set the Maximum number of connections per server (HTTP 1.0) and Maximum number of connections per server (HTTP 1.1) options to the settings that you want. You must update policies or restart the computer to apply these changes.