What's new

Insert pictures directly from camera

dennisr

Hello,

We use several Ipads here in our business for making estimates. On these Ipads we use a pdf layout on which we can add notes by drawing on it. We also take pictures on which we add measurements that are important for the estimate.

I actually like the simplicity of the Ipad after having bought a Surface Pro 3 a couple of days back. But what I absolutely don't like about the Ipad, is not having one decent pen to be able to take notes (trust me I've tried more than one stylus).

My problem however with the Surface Pro is that; I'm able to get my pdf's imported to, for example one note, but adding pictures is only possible when they're already taken and stored. There is no adding picture directly from camera.

Can anyone tell me if there is another method or app where it's possible to import pictures directly from the camera?

Thank you,

Dennis

gdir

Do you have Drawboard PDF from the Windows Store? It has a function to import images from the camera. It's in the radial menu: Insert > Image > Camera.

I can't test it because my cameras have been sealed because of security regulations here in the office. I only get black images :)

Liam2349

You can also do this in OneNote.

Open camera, double click the pen button, crop - done.

Double clicking the pen button takes a screenshot, but you're taking a screenshot of the camera app, so basically taking a photo that automatically goes into OneNote.

OP
D

dennisr

Check this. At 1.11 min you see the icon I need, at least I think, but I can't find this function. Where is this icon hidden?

dleuen

That's only available on the OneNote Modern UI app, not 2013. If you just hold down you're finger on a blank area of the screen it will pop up.

BillJ

So, to answer the question that the original poster posed, there are two ways to take a picture with the SP3 and import to OneNote:
A) Take a picture with the camera app, and then use the "double click" of the Pen to import a screen shot to OneNote (you can specify whether MUI or Desktop version in Desktop options)
B) Open MUI OneNote, and open the circular menu in a blank area of the screen by making a long press, and then select the outer bar next to "image". From there you can open the camera, and take as many pictures as you want, and they will upload into OneNote.

upload_2014-9-9_12-13-43.png

malberttoo

So, to answer the question that the original poster posed, there are two ways to take a picture with the SP3 and import to OneNote:
A) Take a picture with the camera app, and then use the "double click" of the Pen to import a screen shot to OneNote (you can specify whether MUI or Desktop version in Desktop options)
B) Open MUI OneNote, and open the circular menu in a blank area of the screen by making a long press, and then select the outer bar next to "image". From there you can open the camera, and take as many pictures as you want, and they will upload into OneNote.

View attachment 3593

+1 for good use of handwritten screen clipping!! :D

OP
D

dennisr

View attachment 3593

Thank you, eventually after a lot of pushing on the pen and it's buttons I came to the conclusion that I hadn't tried it with my finger. And voilá it worked. I also have office onenote, but it isn't working there, as stated above. So I assume, because the lack of the circular menu (and nowhere to be found in another menu) you cannot import directly from the camera in office onenote?

msolok

So I assume, because the lack of the circular menu (and nowhere to be found in another menu) you cannot import directly from the camera in office onenote?

Correct. Remember OneNote 2013 / OneNote Office is designed to be used on full computers (laptops, desktops etc) where you traditionally don't have or use a camera like you do with Smart Phones and tablets. The option isn't needed in OneNote 2013.

ScottyS

You can also launch the camera app, take a picture and then tap the photo icon in upper left corner which opens the last phot you took, tap-and-hold to bring up context menu and pick copy, then paste it into OneNote, or any app. I use Foxit Reader for pdfs.