What's new

iPad Pro 12.9" with separate keyboard and pencil (stylus) Who's getting one

kc912

Before watching I was genuinely slightly nervous for the Surface. Then a few seconds in I was rolling around laughing. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but frankly this cannot be described as imitation. It's an iPad with a keyboard and stylus. That's all it comes down to and that's a joke.

Sadly however...

Apple will have buyers blindly buying and therefore devs erm... deving. It could be a good competitor just for the plethora of apps that will come into existance around that pen. Surface users will never know this kind of dev support.

Still as others have mentioned lack of a proper OS, preriferal support and lapability make it a poor consideration when held up against a Surface Pro 3 (never mind whatever the SP4 holds in stock for us)

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Pencil is probably the best part... but I'll need to see it in action...
From Cnet: Apple announces super-sized iPad Pro, pricing starts at $799, available in November (hands-on)
Aside from the speedy new internals, the high-end accessories are what make the mammoth-sized model an interesting addition to the iPad family. Most notably, the iPad Pro supports a pressure-sensitive stylus that promises more
accuracy.

appleipencil.jpg

James Martin

The Apple Pencil is specifically made for the new iPad, and the responsive sensors on the tablet's screen notice position, force, and tilt. The Apple Pencil houses its own battery and you can easily recharge it by using a Lightning adapter and plugging it into the iPad Pro. The ability to adjust the thickness of the stroke by applying light or heavy pressure and accurate precision are two of the ways the Pencil is geared to satisfy creative professionals, like graphic designers. In addition, two places at the tip of the Pencil emit signals to create shaded strokes, making detailed drawing also a possibility.

applepencil.jpg

James Martin/CNET

iPad-Pro.jpg

Apple Pencil - Big, shiny, slick, white plastic stick with rechargeable 12 hour battery.
Have you charged your pencil today? and your watch, and your phone, and your tablet and utility belt ... :)

Last edited:

daniielrp

I probably won't get one. It does have a few advantages over the SP3 though, such as:

- Better battery life.
- Higher res screen.
- Plenty of Apps
- An OS that is actually designed with the touchscreen as a focus, not an option.
- Fingerprint sensor
- Good cameras
- Thinner
- Lighter
- Developers who seem truly on board (looking at you, Adobe, with your token 200% experimental scaling support).

And then some downsides:
- Cannot run poorly scaled UI legacy programs.
- No mouse support for this TABLET device.
- Needs a lightning converter for display out rather than a miniDisplayPort converter, psh!
- No USB port. Can't plug in all of my USB peripherals in to all of my one USB port.
- Lacking awkward kickstand so I can't not use it public transport or my lap.

jrioux

Well, it will.
When did they change that? That limitation was why I upgraded to my RT. My iPad 2 could email something from an app, like a PDF file from iBooks, but I couldn't attach a file when I was responding to an email in the email app. That was VERY frustrating.

jrioux

Does it strike anyone else odd that Apple didn't switch from a lightning port to a Thunderbolt 3/USB-C port on the iPad Pro? It would have meant faster charging, faster data transfers and greater compatibility in the long run.

Last edited:
OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does it strike anyone else odd that Apple didn't switch from a lightning port to a Thunderbolt 3/USB-C port on the iPad Pro? It would have meant faster charging, faster data transfers and greater compatibility in the long run.
They made minimal changes... no USB no micro SD means no file access.
The Pencil appears to be the only real change other than the size.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess it must be quicker than the HP Stream 7.
I would have to be... if not than what... :)

although I'm sure that 80% number includes mostly low end cheap devices in the 150-350 price range but they aren't going to buy a $1200 device are they. ;)

Last edited:

daniielrp

When did they change that? That limitation was why I upgraded to my RT. My iPad 2 could email something from an app, like a PDF file from iBooks, but I couldn't attach a file when I was responding to an email in the email app. That was VERY frustrating.

From now (iOS 9) as far as I can tell. Still limited to apps that support it (the attach button still has no file access as such, but it can look through iCloud drive, Google Drive, OneDrive etc).

daniielrp

I would've probably bought one if it'd been an iMac Tablet, i.e. running OS X instead of iOS.

Never gonna happen, Apple have always been clear that iOS is for touch, OS X is for classic k/b and mouse.

Personally I find having two complimentary devices works better than one that tries be be all and ends up being 'meh' at both.