What's new

Is It My Imagination, or Has Latest Win10 Update Reduced Heat & Fan Running Somewhat?

Telstar1948

I've noticed after a Win10 update the other day that my fan isn't running as much nor is my SP3 case as warm or as often as it was. Anyone else notice this?

kundas1

nope! mine runs hot all the time so I had to revert! wonder when it will be safe to upgrade back to windows 10?....

Kris

Really wonder why some people have heat issues and others don't, might be because I have the runt of the models but never have had a heat issue. Then again I had to go through 7 SP3s to get one that would connect to WiFi, just makes me wonder why such a difference in each one. You would think if everyone with a certain model would have the same issues.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why does REFRESH or RESET change anything, it's just reinstalling the same bits and expecting different results ... yes it IS insane. If it doesn't work the first time try it again ... that's why we have both refresh and reset. :) there is a fundamental flaw somewhere that changes the outcome like morphing DNA. Some are imperceptibly different while others vary much more. Windows roulette.

kundas1

funny thing is I never had the heat problem until I upgraded to 10... also never had my SP3 go on in my bag for almost the year I had it, since 10 all the time!

Compusmurf

Folks need to use process explorer ir something to figure out what the common cause is. Then they can start troubleshooting. But, this is from an IT tech perspective.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Folks need to use process explorer ir something to figure out what the common cause is. Then they can start troubleshooting. But, this is from an IT tech perspective.
Id argue that Refresh and Reset toss the discovery out the window thereby perpetuating the problem systemically.

Just last week I Refreshed my S3 because of recurring problems, since then it took a few days but all the problems have returned. The most annoying is the wireless driver crash after which it reports couldn't send customer experience data to Microsoft. The display driver crashes, the audio driver crashes, it logs events that it cant register some ACPI device. Looking at the event log it's a complete mess. I guess it's time to Reset it then return it.

After one of the Refreshes of my SP3 I had the High System Interrupt problem which I had never had before so, I Refreshed again which cleared it up.

After any Windows update you may start experiencing a new problem which is *fixed* by reinstalling something.

It would be one thing if problems were caused by application software installs but these are fundamental OS issues.

Spin the wheel ... do you feel lucky? ... Well do ya?

Compusmurf

I've never reset or refreshed my machine and I don't have most of the issues others have. The high irq problem comes and goes, almost always after a sleep. I will tell you, I don't use most of the supplied drivers. I have updated the windows chipset util, I use the very latest intel drivers. I am using the unreleased firmware. Which does NOT fix the irq issue (just fyi). Maybe being in IT since 1987 scares my systems into behaving. :)

Mine does run hot, but I'm not going back. As long as my machine boots, runs, and doesn't crash from overheating, what good does it do to go back? Eventually MSFT will figure it out and things will cool down. (Hopefully).:cool: