What's new

Just about to buy surface book questions

OP
C

City_Guy

Greetings all,

Thanks for the advice on the Microsoft Complete Accident Protection for Surface Book, seems like a worthwhile investment.
Again, appreciate everyone's comments and advice.

garyfri

I have purchased the surfacebook about a week ago. Upgrade from the Surface Pro 3. I will tell you most people are commenting on the stability only use it in laptop mode. It is a beautiful laptop. The main issue is the wobble. The wobble I mean is utilizing the pen in laptop mode. With my SP3 I would mark pdf and onenote all the time. With my SB the damn thing wiggles and my writing looks like a first grader. very frustrating. I am going to give it about 6 more days (have only 14 days to return) to see if it gets better. Again if I was just going to use it as a laptop I would not care as it is sturdy. But also I would not have paid this much for a laptop only device.
Good luck.

Orlbuckeye

Well i suggest if your not using the keyboard you can flip the clipboard around. ^ this shape or use as a tablet and it won't wobble at all. Thats one of the benefits of the device as it can be used in many ways.

OP
C

City_Guy

I have purchased the surfacebook about a week ago. Upgrade from the Surface Pro 3. I will tell you most people are commenting on the stability only use it in laptop mode. It is a beautiful laptop. The main issue is the wobble. The wobble I mean is utilizing the pen in laptop mode. With my SP3 I would mark pdf and onenote all the time. With my SB the damn thing wiggles and my writing looks like a first grader. very frustrating. I am going to give it about 6 more days (have only 14 days to return) to see if it gets better. Again if I was just going to use it as a laptop I would not care as it is sturdy. But also I would not have paid this much for a laptop only device.
Good luck.

Hi

Thanks for the reply and opinion about your new surface book.
The surface book at the Microsoft store continues to be sold at a discount.
Additionally best buy is offering a $100 student discount coupon in addition to the matched sale price, which I would be able to take advantage of.
Unfortunately I checked with Microsoft and the extended two year warranty is only available when the device is purchased directly from Microsoft either in store or online.
I would only purchase any surface product with the extended two year warranty, based on all the problems surface owners have experienced.
The surface book is still relatively new and I wonder how well the complex hinge and muscle wire screen attachment will performu over time. Both appear to be quite complicated assemblies.

leeshor

Hi

Thanks for the reply and opinion about your new surface book.
The surface book at the Microsoft store continues to be sold at a discount.
Additionally best buy is offering a $100 student discount coupon in addition to the matched sale price, which I would be able to take advantage of.
Unfortunately I checked with Microsoft and the extended two year warranty is only available when the device is purchased directly from Microsoft either in store or online.
I would only purchase any surface product with the extended two year warranty, based on all the problems surface owners have experienced.
The surface book is still relatively new and I wonder how well the complex hinge and muscle wire screen attachment will performu over time. Both appear to be quite complicated assemblies.

Not exactly so. You can purchase it anywhere you please and if there is a Microsoft Store near you they will sell you the extended warranty if they physically check it out to make certain there is no existing problem first. Bring your purchase receipt.

garyfri

Best buy also has warranties. I will say with my surface 1 pro and surface 3 pro, microsoft customer support is not always a preferred means. It has been hit and missed with me. So try best buy.

That being said i use it on my school blackboard and use the keyboard and note and indicate on onenote pdfs. So I would need the keyboard and the screen. This is where the device has shortcomings. When I write on it it wobbles and penmanship goes down bad.

Orlbuckeye

Well when my new Surface Book bricked after a firmware update and hour after I received it I contacted MS online. I was thinking what is the fastest way to get it back because i had a 4 day weekend for Thanksgiving. I got on the chat windows and the guy had me try things and nothing worked so he said to send it back. Well I asked would it be faster if I did this at the store and he said maybe. I had purchased the Book from Best buy and they didn't have any in stock and i was shipped to me when I purchased. Well they guy in the chat set it up for me to ship it back to MS for replacement. They emailed me the shipping label for FEDEX and I boxed it up and shipped and it arrived at MS the Friday before Thanksgiving. I didn't get the new before thanks giving but FEDEX shipped it on Thanksgiving and I picked it up at FEDEX on Friday. Technically it was within the 30 days and they could have forced me to get it exchanged at Best buy but MS took care of it.

When I had it stolen and recovered it had been dipped in water or water poured on it. The father of the guy that stole gave me a check to buy a new one. Well it was the week my model was 150 off so i bought it and added the 2 year warranty. I took the old on with me for them to look at and the tech said theer is no evidence of water and said I should contact support and send it back. Well i did that and I received a replacement last week. So MS support has been good to me. My girlfriend will buy the replacement i received.