What's new

Poll Buying a Book Friday... storage question

128gb vs 256gb - which one?

• Total voters

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
How is the sp4 more flexible? Fridays coming and I feel on the fence now. It's the screen and drawing space that has me hooked. Being able to surf like a laptop on the couch makes a big difference for me too. I love my sp2, screen space is the only complaint
I get the same battery life in either tablet or laptop. If your primary reason is drawing in landscape you can flip the screen on the Surface Book and leave it attached.

Depending on your tools (Adobe CC, Magna Studio, etc.) you may find scaling issues, at least CC has a "Surface Mode".

With your use case the Surface Book may work better but you will be pushing many pixels with the same GPU I use.

OP
Spartan X

Spartan X

Wow! Great food for thought... if I consider the cost of the base SB, I could get a very hearty SP4 losing an inch of screen space. Looks like I'll be spending a lot of time in the MS Store this weekend playing prior to my purchase. Thank-you everyone for your feedback.

Orlbuckeye

I was looking at the SP4 and I saw the keyboard was extra and the SP4 and keyboard isn't that big a difference with the SB. The size and higher screen resolution had me ording the SB. If I need to access the DGP and extra memory I jut flip the clipboard over and fold it back and I can use it as a tablet with DGP and SD card access.

Wayne Orwig

With the SP4, the micro SD storage is always there, if you plan to upgrade storage.
And the main battery is also attached. With the SB, if you use the clipboard, that battery is small.

Me, I needed the 256gb unit. And I still added a 128gb card to help out. And I wanted the larger screen size of the SB. Detaching the clipboard isn't really important to me.

No idea what your storage needs are.

OP
Spartan X

Spartan X

With the SP4, the micro SD storage is always there, if you plan to upgrade storage.
And the main battery is also attached. With the SB, if you use the clipboard, that battery is small.

Me, I needed the 256gb unit. And I still added a 128gb card to help out. And I wanted the larger screen size of the SB. Detaching the clipboard isn't really important to me.

No idea what your storage needs are.

I currently have a SP2 i5/8/256 and have had no space issues... but I do only have 70GB left. I've been using it for both work and personal without a thought about being judicious with my storage use. I do have 45 days to buy the extended warranty (Something I never do but seems wise with some of the issues I've read about) so I may opt for the larger drive and pick up the extended in a few weeks.

compnovo

I think there are clear advantages to both, which I why I never sold my SP3 as I had originally planned (I opted for the budget hit instead :p). The screen and the keyboard on the SB are to die for but when I'm flying I prefer the SP3, it fits better on those little food trays. Both have premium build quality, but then you know that since you have an SP2. ;)

Orlbuckeye

When you disconnect the clipboard section, you lose the SB card storage. Not an ideal situation if you always expect it to be there.

But why would you expect it to work when you disconnect the clipboard and the SB card is on the keyboard? That's the way it was designed. The SB was designed as a laptop first (used with the keyboard). If you need the extra storage you just have to flip the screen and fold it down and you get access to the DGP, SD and both batteries.