What's new

Keeps asking for Bitlocker Key

skidd

Just this week, every re-star/start comes up with blue screen asking for BItlocker key.
Which fortunately I have.
But why does it do this - driving me mad ! Any suggestions.
Last updates included 19/1/2016 firmware update - twice !

Help please.

OP
S

skidd

well after going to bitlocker settings and TPM admin - it says that I don't have a compatible TPM 1.2 installed - wtf !
I cant seem to uninstall the firmware update either from the update settings
Not sure what I'm doing here so any idiot-proof help appreciated.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Go into the UEFI Screen and make sure that TPM is enabled (SP3 uses a TPM 2.0 Solution) and load the default keys.

OP
S

skidd

still digging - In the device manager under security devices (which was hidden) is says the hardware device is not connected to the computer, error code 45. Yet it is enabled in the bios (on and up volume). Still looking for help.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
still digging - In the device manager under security devices (which was hidden) is says the hardware device is not connected to the computer, error code 45. Yet it is enabled in the bios (on and up volume). Still looking for help.
You need to boot into the UEFI settings by shutting the machine down, wait 10 seconds, Volume Rocker Up press Power then you'll be in the UEFI Screen (modern BIOS).

OP
S

skidd

Hi - ok is that where is says (next line from TPM)

Secure Boot control > Delete all secure Boot keys ?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hi - ok is that where is says (next line from TPM)

Secure Boot control > Delete all secure Boot keys ?
You can delete them and reload them, or disable secure boot and re-enable it..

Surface Pro 3
  • Trusted Platform Module (TPM)
    The currently configured state of TPM (Enabled or Disabled) is highlighted. To change the state, select the other one. When you’re finished, select Exit Setup > Yes.

• Secure Boot Control
    Select Secure Boot Control to enable or disable this feature. When Secure Boot Control is enabled, you have two additional options:
    • If Secure Boot keys are installed, you can delete them by selecting Delete All Secure Boot Keys.
    • If Secure Boot keys aren't installed, you can select Install All Factory Default Keys and select either Windows & 3rd-party UEFI CA (Default) or Windows only.

OP
S

skidd

Hi Jeff,
Ive tried both ways and its still asking for the bitlocker key on startup.
I can almost remember it without looking up now :)

Just wondering if a system refresh might sort it out or if there is a way to check if the TPM module has failed in some way?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jeff,
Ive tried both ways and its still asking for the bitlocker key on startup.
I can almost remember it without looking up now :)

Just wondering if a system refresh might sort it out or if there is a way to check if the TPM module has failed in some way?
Do you have a Micro-SD card or external drive plugged in? Have all Firmware Updates been applied?

OP
S

skidd

There are no SD cards plugged in.
The last hardware updates seem to have been applied.

The System Hardware Update 19/01/2016 was successfully installed on 28/01/2016

There was a previous successful installation System Firmware update 19/01/2016 - on 22/01/2016
There was a failed install of the same System Firmware update earlier on 22/01/2016

I don't understand the logic here - why would it let me enable or disable the TPM from the UEFI screen but then windows device manager say it isn't connected. (error 45)

:-/

Last edited: