What's new

Kickstand Swap

Brennan

Hello all, I just received a replacement Surface. (I think my 5th unit so far) The new unit appears to be a refurb with a number of scratches all over the kickstand. Since I really dont want to return another device, can I swap kickstands without them noticing? Everything I have seen on the web seems to suggest it is just two torx screws, but I want to make sure they wont have any way of knowing when I send it back.

Thanks,
Brennan

oion

Good luck finding a kickstand part. You'd have to pay $$$ again for even a non-working Pro unit off eBay; not positive if the Surface RT has the same kickstand part, but I think it does, and you'd still have to pay for a non-working unit anyway.

But if you're going to send it back anyway, why would you want to replace the kickstand first? (Man, I wouldn't have the patience for 5 exchanges.)

olimjj

Hello all, I just received a replacement Surface. (I think my 5th unit so far) The new unit appears to be a refurb with a number of scratches all over the kickstand. Since I really dont want to return another device, can I swap kickstands without them noticing? Everything I have seen on the web seems to suggest it is just two torx screws, but I want to make sure they wont have any way of knowing when I send it back.

Thanks,
Brennan
5 Exchanges !?!? Either your original unit was possessed and it took over each of the replacements as you received them; Or your workplace environment provides a gremlin friendly environment.
:eek:mg:

Last edited:
OP
B

Brennan

Yea, I am getting pretty frustrated. I have had everything from wobbly kickstands, to the unit not booting, to a distortion on the screen. Right now I have the advanced unit, so I could swap the kickstands before I send mine back.

oion

Yea, I am getting pretty frustrated. I have had everything from wobbly kickstands, to the unit not booting, to a distortion on the screen. Right now I have the advanced unit, so I could swap the kickstands before I send mine back.

OH, I see. Well, supposedly the kickstand itself is easy to swap given the right tools and having the extra part. Since the serial number isn't on the kickstand itself and since you already have an identical "part" available, it's doable. Just refer to iFixit.