What's new

Kindle app: .mobi file: HOW?

Frum

I am being defeated by a simple task. Using an SP2 Pro with Kindle app installed. I have a single (paid) book installed but have now downloaded a .mobi file from Project Gutenberg. Trying to add this to the Kindle "library" has defeated me after an hour of trying. And I'm hardly a novice. Online searches no help.
How???

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
We need more info. Which Surface do you have? Are you using the Surface MUI App? If you are using the MUI App it downloads an encrypted XML version of the book and does not support side loading. If you are using a Surface Pro Device the legacy Win32 Kindle Application supports .mobi files...

Other Options would be getting one of the eBook Readers from the Store, there are many threads on them and opinions varies amongst the community, just search for Mobi eBook Reader in the Store.

leeshor

From Amazon

MOBI (mobi)

MOBI files (.prc) created with the legacy program MobiPocket Creator are no longer supported. Only MOBI (.mobi) files created with Amazon tools such as KindleGen tool are supported and recommended. To learn more about using and downloading KindleGe

muskogee

I am being defeated by a simple task. Using an SP2 Pro with Kindle app installed. I have a single (paid) book installed but have now downloaded a .mobi file from Project Gutenberg. Trying to add this to the Kindle "library" has defeated me after an hour of trying. And I'm hardly a novice. Online searches no help.
How???
I installed Book Bazaar Reader free from the Microsoft Store. It works great with Kindle (mobi) as
well as Epub and some others. Hope this helps.