What's new

Kindle eReader?

clemgrad85

Just received my SP2 yesterday, and trying to get it all set up. I am curious about what people use for reading their Kindle books? I went to the app store and there is an app, but doesn't getting very good ratings. I don't see anything on the Kindle website either. I have an old HP Palm/Tablet that has a beta app that works well, but that isn't for a PC. Any suggestions on an eReader that can open books from Amazon? Thanks.....

Arizona Willie

The Kindle app works well, BUT it only works on books you buy and download from Amazon.
You cannot sideload books you get other places that claim to be in Kindle format.
WON'T WORK.
Grrr, what a load of crap :(
There is an app called Calibre that works but you have to jump through some hoops and convert the books and then it does OK.

OP
clemgrad85

clemgrad85

The Kindle app works well, BUT it only works on books you buy and download from Amazon.
You cannot sideload books you get other places that claim to be in Kindle format.
WON'T WORK.
Grrr, what a load of crap :(
There is an app called Calibre that works but you have to jump through some hoops and convert the books and then it does OK.

Ohhhhh.....okay, well....that's fine with me. I have been downloading from them exclusively. How about the Barnes & Noble set up?

Johntxk

The Kindle app is very good. I use the black background with the white font. It's very easy on the eyes.

bertopl

might also be worth noting that the kindle app for windows 8 doesn't support "print replica" as the iPad and desktop versions do. I bought a kindle textbook for a class (I think a lot of textbooks use the print replica format) and found out I couldn't read it on my surface with the win 8 kindle app. otherwise I haven't had a problem with it.

Tsurugaya

I installed the Kindle application for Windows 7 so I use it in Desktop mode. If you install Calibre and do a search for Apprentice Alf you will be able to read the books in Calibre's own book reader.

jimkraz

I too use the Kindle download .exe for Win 7 for use in desktop, with this installed, double click book and it will open in Kindle program, on my RT I use Book Bazar Reader, you can load your .mobi books into app, lists cover art, a good few setting in it, its free. Jim