What's new

Lacie external drive on mini-port

weezy

I am trying to get my Lacie Rugged external drive to work on the mini-port. It comes with a Thunderbolt cable and supposedly compatible drivers (download). I downloaded and installed drivers but SP doesn't see drive on min-port. Drive works great on USB.

Lacie help advised me to find a Mac to hook it up to to make sure cable, etc working. I will try when I run into someone with a Mac.

Anyone have any words of wisdom?

Thanks for the help.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Hi weezy, welcome to the forum. The SP does not have a Thunderbolt port, only (mini) DisplayPort. DisplayPort is for monitors only and does not handle data like Thunderbolt (video and data).

malberttoo

Hi Weezy, welcome.

If it's the Lacie External drive that comes with the Thunderbolt cable, then you'll need to plug the drive into the Surface Pro, using the USB port. Like J515OP said, the Surface Pro doesn't have Thunderbolt, and the mini-DisplayPort is actually for video.

Hope it helps!

OP
W

weezy

Thanks for the reality check. I guess I was hopefully interpreting some of the info I read to mean there was some way to connect the drive using the mini port. Some of the things I read alluded to a driver that enabled the port to be used for data. Probably reading a post for another device. *sigh*

Cheers All,
Louise