What's new

Linx Windows Tablet ? just curious!

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I keep seeing a Windows tablet being advertised here in the UK for only about £80, but it's running full windows 8.1 64bit.

The spec is:
  • Intel Baytrail Quad-Core
  • 1GB RAM + 32GB Flash
  • 7" Touchscreen
  • Bluetooth
  • Wifi
  • 1200 x 800 IPS screen
I just wondered whether it's even worth having full windows on a device of that spec, would things run OK on it? It's advertised with Office 365. Generally the reviews seem pretty good with 8.0 out of 10 average from users.

Pretty unbelievable that you can get a small tablet device running full windows for £80!! I had a play with one in the local supermarket and it seemed to respond quite well at least just swiping between desktop and start screen etc. I can't imagine that looking at desktop apps on a small 7" screen would be particularly pleasant though.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Compared to a Surface Pro performance would be anemic. Yeah you could browse the web and watch video though somewhat slower. I've seen an analyst say these are good but ... he types short articles... :) not very demanding IMO.
With 32 GB storage you'd be forced to have microsd or cloud storage. with only 1GB Ram it might have some trouble, a lot of these have 2 GB. Give it a week to finish one of your Lightroom tasks if it could even do it. :)

But if your Surface Pro is busy on a critical task you could pull one of these out and pay your bills. :)

I think some of the more upscale devices with 2gb could be on par with a Surface 2 although most seem to be short on specs, super cheap, targeted at people that can only afford the lowest priced unit or looking for a kids device or tertiary device.

OP
Moonsurface

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
For the price though I reckon it's not bad, reasonable as a tablet (vs cheapo androids of the same price and spec) and also can run some proper software too. I wouldn't expect it to compete with a Surface pro of course, but then it's a LOT cheaper!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I keep seeing a Windows tablet being advertised here in the UK for only about £80, but it's running full windows 8.1 64bit.

The spec is:
  • Intel Baytrail Quad-Core
  • 1GB RAM + 32GB Flash
  • 7" Touchscreen
  • Bluetooth
  • Wifi
  • 1200 x 800 IPS screen
I just wondered whether it's even worth having full windows on a device of that spec, would things run OK on it? It's advertised with Office 365. Generally the reviews seem pretty good with 8.0 out of 10 average from users.

Pretty unbelievable that you can get a small tablet device running full windows for £80!! I had a play with one in the local supermarket and it seemed to respond quite well at least just swiping between desktop and start screen etc. I can't imagine that looking at desktop apps on a small 7" screen would be particularly pleasant though.
I've played with the HP Stream 7 that has similar specs and runs quite well in the Modern UI but will struggle with Win32 (and you think the UI small on the SP3, these 7 are really small).

strollin

Before I got my SP3, I had a Dell Venue 8 Pro tablet. It had slightly better hardware (quad core Atom processor, 4GB RAM, 64GB storage) but otherwise similar. The DV8P ran Win 8.1 very well and even came with Office Home & Student. The 8" screen was fine, for the most part, but text on the desktop could be hard to read for these old eyes. You can enlarge the text but then the text will take more of your screen space so you need to compromise between the two.

32GB of storage is pretty tight, the mfrs usually put a recovery partition on there so with that and the OS on the 32GB drive, there may only be 10-12GB of free storage left. You can probably create a recovery USB, then reclaim the disk space that the recovery partition used. My DV8P had 64GB so it had a little more free space available. I also used a 128GB microSD in the DV8P so I had enough storage for my needs.

OP
Moonsurface

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well my husband bought one of these Linx 8" tablsets in the sales. I think he's quite impressed with it. There's about 15GB storage available on it but it does have the micro SD etc. It was £90 and INCLUDED a one year subscription to office 365. The screen is actually really nice and feels quite responsive, certainly Windows 8.1 looks nice and crisp and sharp on it - it's beats the pants off a low end Android tablet in that department and it's a nice feeling device in the hands. My hubby already loaded his Virtual DJ software onto it to see how it runs, it runs fine, though the UI is tiny...lol, with a USB adapter cable he could plug it into his Pioneer DJ controller and see how well it works as an emergency backup plan in case his Macbook Pro AND ASUS laptop goes down at a gig.

The idea I guess of these tablets to tempt people away from Android.

Matt

Whats the battery life like? I was toying with the idea of one but I heard the battery life was pretty poor (as in sub 4 hours). I have been keeping an eye on the HP stream 7 as the battery is supposed to be a lot better, but then you lose the micro HDMI out port.

Still they look good for the price. I am eagerly awaiting the next atom line to come out (cherry trail??)

OP
Moonsurface

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Whats the battery life like? I was toying with the idea of one but I heard the battery life was pretty poor (as in sub 4 hours). I have been keeping an eye on the HP stream 7 as the battery is supposed to be a lot better, but then you lose the micro HDMI out port.

Still they look good for the price. I am eagerly awaiting the next atom line to come out (cherry trail??)

To be honest I'd have to get back to you in a few weeks on the battery question. he only got it yesterday!

OP
Moonsurface

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member

Well hubby said he was surfing online for about 3-4 hours last night on the Linx and it still had a good lot of battery life left. He seems very impressed with it. It keeps moaning at him to install the free subscription of office but he doesn't want to do that as he doesn't see himself using it for that really and it would just eat storage.