What's new

List of top 3 likes and dislikes about SP3

nipponham

In honor of this thread, I thought I’d ask what are the top three things you like and dislike about your SP3. You don’t have to fill out all three points for each heading, but three is the max. Here are my answers:

Top 3 likes
  1. Light and easy to carry around.
  2. Near full-spec power in a compact device that can truly replace a laptop. (No more excuses to do work later when you’re at a “proper” workstation.)
  3. Pen and OneNote integration has changed how I take and share notes for the better.

Top 3 dislikes
  1. Battery charge hold is below expectation. (I'm getting about seven hours, at least eight is my expectation since they claimed nine.)
  2. Too many minor bugs (ex. Type cover suddenly not working, unresponsive touch controls, pen not launching OneNote or capturing screen, etc.) Minor only because these can be fixed by a reboot or reinstall of drivers/devices.
  3. Battery area on the backside gets too warm for comfort when charging, or doing CPU intensive tasks.

lonaysta

top 3 likes:

sleek design/weight and build quality;
Love the pen;
all-in-one. this really replaces my laptop and tablet.

top 3 dislikes:

there is always something wrong with this firmware that driver;
throttling issue;
too precious to put in danger(I don't dare to take it to gym like the 8' tablet I gave to my girlfriends..It's 5 times more expensive. cannot risk dropping it..)

ctitanic

Pros
1- Body design
2- Pen
3- Screen

I don't have dislike but I have areas of improvement
1- Battery life
2- Heat dissipation
3- price

Last edited:

Aegeas

Pros:
1: Weight
2: Battery life
3: Power

1: No place to put that damnable pen
2: No factory way to increase cooling to take advantage of the mega proc the i7 has.
3: Did I mention that &*(%#$%#$ pen?

kristalsoldier

1. Profile
2. Construction
3. Capability

Areas of improvement:

1. Battery life - though I do get on an average 8.5 hours
2. Flexibility to use the Pen to launch applications other than OneNote

ctitanic

Capture.JPG

annabanana

Top 3 likes
Screen and display
Light weight, so portable
Battery life - much better than any previous laptop/netbook/tablet I've owned
Speedy boot up and shut down
Pen and inking
Oops that's 5 :D

Top 3 dislikes
Windows menus are so small I need magnifying glasses to read easily
Wish the type cover came with
Charging cord too short for my liking, but battery life makes uo for that.

1) 3:2 aspect ratio - love this. Makes 16:9 look like there's hardly anything on screen.
2) Pen. Use this constantly, especially while browsing.
3) Power Cover compatability (but would love to have an official SP3 PC released).

Dislikes
1) Battery. It's awful without the Power Cover, 3-4 hours max with heavy, tabbed browsing (6-8 with, which I can live with).
2) Glossy screen. Fingerprint magnet - would love the option for a matte display.
3) Build issues (yellow line, light bleed in corners, some corners of the screen aren't as flush against the casing and feel jagged - have gone through 7, opened SP3's until I got one that didn't have any of the above issues).

riggi

1) 3:2 aspect ratio - much better for Word, Excel, PDFs and web browsing than 16:9 (both in landscape and portrait)
2) Form factor - thinner and lighter than my SP1
3) Charging connector - much more reliable than the SP1

Dislikes
1) Changed from Wacom to N-trig. I have a Samsung Spen holder that I used to use on my SP1 and still use on my Note 3 and Vivotab Note 8. It is much nicer to write with then the stock pen from the SP1, SP3, Note 3 or Vivotab8. If I left the pen at home, I could always just pull the stock pen out of my Note 3 or Vivotab 8 and still write on the SP1 if need be. Now, if I leave the N-trig pen at home, I'm SOL :D

2) I expected battery life to be better. I'm getting about 6 hours. Mostly using Word, Excel, PDF Annotator, IE and OneNote.

3) The random heating up and fan blasting while windows does whatever it does. :D

Kris

1.)Laptop and a tablet
2.)ease of carrying around and detachable keyboard
3.)Screen omg is this thing pretty
4.)it's almost a computer

Dislikes:
1.)Battery life, what a joke... dim to 40%, only use metro apps and turn off this and that or only get 2-4 hours of battery life...
2.)WiFi, This thing is riddled with bugs but this is the biggest joke
3.)4 returns to get one that worked, looking at 5 if I can't get WiFi to stay on longer than 3 minutes.

I absolutely love my SP3 after 4 defective one I even upgrade to the I7 model but in truth this should have never been released as is. I feel like I payed a premium price to alpha, no not even beta, test a product for Microsoft. The only reason for me sticking with this product is, it does what I wanted my android tablet to do. I don't have to switch between 5 programs to edit one stupid pdf, word document, or deal with stupid mobile websites. But at least android, Samsung, tablets did what they said they could do. Again I love my SP3 and going to try and stick with it but its a huge joke. The real commercials would be they guy comparing his SP3 to a apple air or whatever and having to say "oh wait sorry mine went in to sleep mode, I have to reboot a few times to get WiFi back"

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member

design
MUI
charging time

Dislike

Kickstand quality issues
Noise
keyboard (hit and miss if it'll work at all when plugged in)