What's new

List of top 3 likes and dislikes about SP3

Donald King

Pros:
1. Tons of power in a small portable form factor
2. Works well as a desktop and as a tablet
3. It's a OneNote machine. I live in OneNote for work and personal notes

Cons:
1. Track pad is not very usable - too small. But fixed that with a blue tooth mouse
2. Independent display scaling does not work even though it is an option in control panel
3. Display brightness keys on touch cover do not work (they work as function keys when holding Fn, but won't adjuct brightness otherwise. Other keys work great)

Overall I am very happy with this device. I have the i7 with 8GB RAM. It is very fast and a great form factor. I don't have any of the WiFi or power issues reported, but my device is from a very recent production run.

VickiFL

I use my SP3 for personal use, and we also use it for home school for our daughter.

The top 3 things I like the most:

1. It runs real Windows, and I can run Windows based programs on it, which is very important to me. I also like that I can switch back and forth from laptop to tablet mode as needed.

2. The size and portability. Thin, powerful, and can fit in my back pack when we go out, and I have a small backpack. I take it most everywhere we go now because the world is our classroom!

3. I like being able to take handwritten notes in One Note, and I love the pen.

**Bonus like: It works great together with my Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows phone. :)

The top 3 things I dislike the most:

1. Price. I hate that you have to pay extra for the keyboard. It's damn expensive, but it's so unique!

2. I wish it had at least one more USB port.

3. The pen holder is flimsy, and already fell off my keyboard. They should have made a better pen holder.

Unfortunately, I need to add one more dislike. I tried to install an Epson printer on my SP3 this weekend, and it was a nightmare! We were on the phone with Epson ALL weekend. Constant problems, drivers, recognition, printing, you name it. I think it was even screwing up my SP3. I ended up having to uninstall everything to do with the printer, and now my SP3 is fine. I never could get the damn thing to print.

However, my husband installed the Epson printer on his Asus gaming laptop, and it works great. It really irks me too. :mad: BTW, the printer works just fine on my daughters regular laptop too.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unfortunately, I need to add one more dislike. I tried to install an Epson printer on my SP3 this weekend, and it was a nightmare! We were on the phone with Epson ALL weekend. Constant problems, drivers, recognition, printing, you name it. I think it was even screwing up my SP3. I ended up having to uninstall everything to do with the printer, and now my SP3 is fine. I never could get the damn thing to print.

However, my husband installed the Epson printer on his Asus gaming laptop, and it works great. It really irks me too. :mad: BTW, the printer works just fine on my daughters regular laptop too.

It's odd actually as we have an Epson wifi printer (one of the workforce WF series) and the surface just picked it up straight away and I could use it without any fuss, where as when I reinstalled win7 after a problem I had to pfaff with drivers etc!!

Is it an older printer? I just plugged my Epson in via USB and it auto-installed / plug and play, and haven't had any issues.

Kif

2. The Docking Station
3. The Kickstand
4. The Speakers

Dislikes
1. Windows 8.1
2. Lack of quality native Apps (MUI)
3. Driver Support
4. Windows 8.1

Last edited:

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member

VickiFL

I just spent an hour on the phone with Microsoft and at the end of the call, they said I would need to call Epson again. Not gonna happen, so no printer on my SP3.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I just spent an hour on the phone with Microsoft and at the end of the call, they said I would need to call Epson again. Not gonna happen, so no printer on my SP3.
How are you connecting to the Printer? Wirelessly or USB? Is the SP3 in the Home Group if you're attempting to connect Wirelessly. Which driver did you attempt to install? Native (built into Windows) or the one from Epson?