What's new

LTE- How many will go to SP4 for LTE it is offered?

log0n

I've been eagerly awaiting the release of the Surface 3 LTE (In fact I came across this thread googling around to see if a releases date was announced yet.) & I'll tell you why LTE is a must for me.

While tethering is great for occasional use it has it's down sides to. Your really hammering your battery while your tethering over WiFi, less so on bluetooth but then your bottlenecking your self, & while USB might even manage to increases your charge while tethering it dose so at the cost of your laptop/tablets battery. Without LTE connected standby/InstantGo is handicapped if I walk out of range from my phone as the device will then have to reconnect & retrieve any e-mail/IM/whatever that might have came in while I was out of range. Also without LTE the Surface 3 also dose not get GPS as the receiver is part of the LTE chipset.

I know these seem like minor nitpicks but when you spend your days driving from site to site & taking part of 2-3 hour long bridge calls while SSH/VNCing into remote systems tethering just doesn't cut it. Plus T-Moblie gave me a SIM for my laptop & matched my phones unlimited data plan for just $10 a month.

Stephan

Well the SP4 will be less powerful than the SP3.

How do you know ?

90% of SP3 i5 users come nowhere near taxing the i5's processing power

Well, the Surface 3 is here for them then. It's a full computer (you can install software), but less powerfull.
I think it's important to keep making the Surface pro lines more powerfull.

And keep the Surface line for those who don't need that much power.

Michgaud

I am eagerly awaiting the Surface3 LTE. I use my current Lumia 2520 now in Environments where I constantly need to share my screen with others I can't be bothered with Wi-Fi Searches and tethering. I don't care where I get my data from I have unlimited data plan and am constantly flowing between Wi-Fi and LTE in a manor that is totally transparent to me and my clients. I need the Surface3 LTE as soon as possible as the Lumia 2520 is on it's last legs.

fletch33

i dont understand the need for more than 1 data capable device? my phone is with Verizon which gets LTE even when i am in my camper in remote locations almost all the time and when it doesnt my computer wouldnt either. if my computer had LTE capable then it would still be on my account using the same amount of data.

my phone can share my LTE to 5+ devices at once which i have done with kids and camping and still perform all the phone functions.

why would i need another direct connection to the web?

no need for LTE in my computer.

log0n

why would i need another direct connection to the web?

no need for LTE in my computer.

Maybe you need to use your phone's battery for making phone calls instead of acting as an AP. Maybe you want your email/IM's to be ready to be read when you pick up your device instead of having to wait for it to connect & sync. Maybe you have to leave your tablet in place & connected doing work, sometime for hours on end & you don't want to be forced to stay within tethering range with your phone. Maybe you just want/need GPS & the LTE variety is the only model that has GPS.

If you spend your days sitting in an office with WiFI then LTE has limited appeal but if your a field tech or just spend a lot of time away from WiFi but need to be connected & need your phone for making actual phone calls then LTE becomes much much more important.

fletch33

Maybe you need to use your phone's battery for making phone calls instead of acting as an AP. Maybe you want your email/IM's to be ready to be read when you pick up your device instead of having to wait for it to connect & sync. Maybe you have to leave your tablet in place & connected doing work, sometime for hours on end & you don't want to be forced to stay within tethering range with your phone. Maybe you just want/need GPS & the LTE variety is the only model that has GPS.

If you spend your days sitting in an office with WiFI then LTE has limited appeal but if your a field tech or just spend a lot of time away from WiFi but need to be connected & need your phone for making actual phone calls then LTE becomes much much more important.

I am not arguing but really if I am around my laptop or tablet then so is my phone and therefore the WiFi my phone would provide and the emails would be coming in and I would not be waiting for anything.

Also pretty much everything else you mentioned is solved with a battery pack. On android or iPhone (not sure windows phone) you can get cases that include a battery so for example on my Galaxy S6 Edge I have a 2800mah battery and a 3600mah case and that is gonna keep my external devices running WiFi all day and more with no problem. I know this because I go camping and sometimes for a couple of work days.

Again not an argument but surviving with little difference between it being included in a device or not included is not much different.

Telstar1948

I use my GN3 for mapping while out in the field, but if I literally worked out of my vehicle, or stayed in the field as some do, I'd want LTE on my SP. I had LTE on an iPad some years ago, and it was great for navigation while out. Bigger screens are always better when looking at a map, but I can get by with my GN3 for navigation since I'm just out now and then. I can see others having to upload/download all sorts of things for extended periods of time could use an SP with LTE.

ynohtna

Thanks for explaining your needs for LTE on tablet.

Steeli

Hello
My organisation need SP4 with LTE to repleace our iPad 3Gs. We had MultiSIM Cards from our Mobilboradbandprovider so we don't want to use thetering.
In germany the FreeWLAN coverage is very poor compare to other countries so for buisness users 4G is very important... what does MS say? Mobile first!
Steeli