What's new

MAC address for Surface Pro

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Network Sharing Control Panel.... Click on the Connection then select the details button and it is the Physical Address in the Description Details

OP
R

roving

Thanks for the reply. I am doing this for my better half's new Surface and need a lot more help, I guess. I have a Trendnet 452 brp working here and her laptop is connected wirelessly to it and working fine. Surface is next to it on the desk. Went to Network and Sharing Center. I don't see a 'connection' to click on to get to a 'details' button to get the MAC address (MAC addresses are used for filtering access). The only MAC address that I found was for Marvel Wireless Network Controller. I doubt that is the correct one for the Surface. The name of the wireless connecxtion doesn't show up in the list of available connections nearby, and I don't understand why or what to do about it. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Marvell is the correct adapter. Which firmware are you using on Trendnet? There are some routers that do not play nice with the Marvell Wireless Card, especially the enthusiast OSS types...

OP
R

roving

Firmware is 1.6.6 2005/09/06 No oss types here. But that is the MAC address that identifies this Surface Pro, and would be the number I enter into the router?

OP
R

roving

I've got that MAC address entered into the router just as the others are that we use on that router, so that should work just fine. But the Surface does not pickup the router's name as it does the others in the neighborhood. What about that Firmware problem, if there is one? Does it need updating? What can I do to get the Surface to recognize the connection from the Trendnet that is about 6" away from it? And that connection is recognized and being used by an HP laptop on the same desk so it is a known and good signal. What is best for me to do to make the lady happy about this?? Thanks

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I would see if there is an update for your Router, another option is to reboot the router ands Surface and see if they are able to talk to each other....

OP
R

roving

I checked with Trendnet and they said to check with Surface. Oh well, thanks for the interest and help!