What's new

March update brings new WiFi driver

GoodBytes

The warranty is 1 year, and can be extended to 2 year with accidental damage protection.
Assuming you got yours on day 1, the Surface Pro 2 was released in October 2013. So your warranty (assuming you just have the 1 year one) will end on October 2014.

jrapdx

Interesting. In my case the SP2 is very stable, and WiFi is 2-5% faster ...

Yes, but does it fix the WiFi "bluetooth interference" problem? I haven't yet found a good solution to it.

And the latest round of updates has not yet landed on my SP2. Doesn't ever make sense to me how distribution of updates varies so erratically.

ArcticDX

I've had the problem that the Wifi and Bluetooth Connection has died, mostly after a few hours without use, and I have had to restart the SP2 (I've tried various power settings). The first test after the update seems to suggest that the problem has been resolved. I mostly run my SP2 with power cord always attached, and no sleep/hibernate.

grumpy

Connecting my BT keyboard still causes my wifi connection to enter "limited" mode. Simply reconnecting to the AP resolves the issue.

OP
E

eee

Hey, yeah I've been checking every now and then and have never seen anything like that except one time a few days ago. Some type of System process was using 20% CPU. But it doesn't happen other than that. With or without microSD card is the same.

I reinstalled BatteryBar Pro to reset the meter, it seems like I might have somewhat better battery life right now but it's still too early to tell.

Edit: this was supposed to be directed at grumpy.

GoodBytes

Microsoft gives a bonus extension warranty on the Surface Pro 2 for free, of several months. :)
I have asked them.

CrippsCorner

Yes, but does it fix the WiFi "bluetooth interference" problem? I haven't yet found a good solution to it.

And the latest round of updates has not yet landed on my SP2. Doesn't ever make sense to me how distribution of updates varies so erratically.

Reports are showing that Update 1 seems to be fixing this issue...

jrapdx

Reports are showing that Update 1 seems to be fixing this issue...

Isn't that the update that's supposed to be released next month? I don't think it's available now, though from what I've read it was inadvertently "leaked" and some were able to try it out.

FWIW I finally received the recent updates and it seems there's less BT interference. On the 2.4GHz network here at the office, speed is 130mbps with or without BT active. At home, also 2.4GHz, with BT on speed was limited to 65mbps, but got 130mbps without BT. I'll check speed when I get home (~8hrs from now). However I don't see what would be different given we're still talking 2.4GHz in both locations.

The more I read this forum, the more I think the Microsoft Gods must be smiling on me because I have never had any trouble with my SP2. I have downloaded all the updates etc without any resulting problems. I did have a WiFi speed slowing down issue for a few days some weeks back but this kind of cured itself and may not even have been a SP2 issue anyway. I'm no IT expert and I don't mess around 'under the hood' of my SP2, don't tinker with registry settings etc - I just use it and it works beautifully (so far anyway). I'm really grateful I'm not like some of you guys who seem to be forever waiting for fixes for endless problems.

GoodBytes

The more I read this forum, the more I think the Microsoft Gods must be smiling on me because I have never had any trouble with my SP2 Pro. I have downloaded all the updates etc without any resulting problems.
Same here. While I haven't use bluetooth or microSD card which apparently have issues, that aside, the Surface Pro 2 had not caused me any trouble, and everything just worked well. Significantly better than my Dell laptop, which had issues that Dell refused to fix as they just ignore it, despite having their flag ship product (Dell Latitude E6400), which cost more than the Surface Pro 2.