What's new

Microsoft about heat issue

Len J

What I mean is the device is marketed as a desk and laptop replacement unit. It is supposed to run both games, programs and applications.

With that in mind I decided to get the i7 version (both better Video 5000 vs 4400, and faster CPU), to get the most out of PS and Lightroom while traveling and some other usage. And of course general interweb use and office / one note.

The store I bought from has a 30 day open buy / return policy, so I will give it a whirl :) Maybe the whole issue is a non-issue. Depending on the noise level on the fan when in use of course. I have never even seen the unit or heard it.

Will definitely use all the tips and tricks on this site before throwing in the towl - however I am a little weary of the "turn off X" to "solve Y" advice.

This will be my first Non IBM / Lenovo laptop for 4 generations (X40, X60, X201, X230) or about 10 years.

I'm moving from A W520, my heaviest use is Lightroom. Only time I've heard the fan on was A,) initial installation of 44 updates & B.) import and preview rendering of 150 RAW photos onto LR. Even then I thought the fan wasn't that loud.

I've done none of the "turn off x" to "solve y" suggestions, other than to lower the screen brightness when working on battery for Non-photo stuff. I don't game btw.

I'll be interested to hear your experience coupled with a description of your particular uses b

Good luck.

Len

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
What I mean is the device is marketed as a desk and laptop replacement unit. It is supposed to run both games, programs and applications.

With that in mind I decided to get the i7 version (both better Video 5000 vs 4400, and faster CPU), to get the most out of PS and Lightroom while traveling and some other usage. And of course general interweb use and office / one note.

The store I bought from has a 30 day open buy / return policy, so I will give it a whirl :) Maybe the whole issue is a non-issue. Depending on the noise level on the fan when in use of course. I have never even seen the unit or heard it.

Will definitely use all the tips and tricks on this site before throwing in the towl - however I am a little weary of the "turn off X" to "solve Y" advice.

This will be my first Non IBM / Lenovo laptop for 4 generations (X40, X60, X201, X230) or about 10 years.
It was never... I repeat never marketed as a Desktop Replacement. I'm working on a Sticky Post that will address all of these misconceptions and unrealistic expectations.....

ESO

The release of the docking station, is a clear sign that the machine can be used as a desktop replacement. With that said, it is clear to me that it will be no match of a full desktop computer with full spec, gfx cards et al.

We will see if the reports are to be believed or not.

As it stands now, my device has arrived at the shipping companys sorting facility, so maybe it will arrive at the post office today, or tomorrow :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The release of the docking station, is a clear sign that the machine can be used as a desktop replacement. With that said, it is clear to me that it will be no match of a full desktop computer with full spec, gfx cards et al.

We will see if the reports are to be believed or not.

As it stands now, my device has arrived at the shipping companys sorting facility, so maybe it will arrive at the post office today, or tomorrow :)
Sign him up, pure genius. :)

Adrain

Firstly a quick introduction as I am new here. Just picked up my SP3 here in the UK this morning and after 10+ years of being exclusively Apple I have to commend Microsoft on the SP3. Truly an amazing piece of technology!

Just wanted to put some balance into the various debates going on here as I have followed the forums for some weeks now and the various issues that people have had (and some have hyped) nearly put me off purchasing one. I have absolutely no doubt that some have had major issues (as with every new piece of tech.) but clearly some have unrealistic expectations of what the device can do, heat etc.

My SP3 is batch 1630 and is an I7/256GB and came out of the box fully patched with the latest firmware and only required 1 update (172kb in total). It has exhibited no heat issues, set up perfectly, downloaded the office 365 suite and various other bits of software that I use.

XTU is showing steady temps at between 55 and 59 degrees within minimal throttling and the performance of the machine is absolutely superb.

I have been an iPad user since its introduction and I had become increasingly frustrated and the lack of flexibility IOS allowed and when SP3 came along with the pen it was kind of a done deal. Yes, I am tech. savvy and a bit of a geek but everyone needs to consider that with the kind of dialog that has been going on here anyone who is considering one may be scared away. As I have already said I have no doubt that many have major problems but many have also had good experiences, they just don't normally take time to tell everyone.

For all of you that are undecided and reading these forums, the SP3 seems to be a great piece of tech and my experience has been nothing less than perfect. My ideal machine would have been an i5/256gb but the 3 year warranty and 90 day return policy at John Lewis was too much to walk away from and they didn't do the i5/256g model.

This may be the machine that returns Microsoft to the top of its game.

Good luck to all.
Adrian

PS. Just rebooted and had the 42 updates I thought I already had got so there were some patches out of the box for the UK model but it did it flawlessly and all seems well. Just a bit out of practice with Windows.

Last edited:

ESO

Will be collecting my unit i7/256GB from the postoffice in about 3 hours.

We will see whats what then.

Glad to hear you have no issues Adrain.

mohcho

Adrian, well said and welcome officially to the forums. Posts like these give a real, balanced view of new technology. There's always going to be growing pains with anything new.

Yes, the updates may take a few rounds of checking, rebooting and checking again before they're done.

dman27

I am one of the more vocal about reporting issues to get the SP3 close to what is advertised.
The SP3 is a brilliant offering by MS despite the stated problems.

The SP4 and SP5 should be game changers.

ESO

I recieved a batch 1430 i7/256gb unit.

It got a little hot during the update process, ran the updater manually 3-4 times. On the second run (44 updates) it got very warm and the fan got a little loud, but no louder than my Lenovo X230 which has an older i7 cpu when its working overtime, while downloading the updates, but cooled down during the installation. Sort of the same for the next round (think it was for 23 updates).

My use case does not involve class room / library conditions, so a little fan noise usually isn't that big a deal.

Downloaded the netflix app, watched a movie, and the thing is nice and cool. Will download Civ5 tomorrow and check out the performance of a game. And install Lightroom to check that out.

My docking station was not shipped along with the unit, so have not had a chance to test that yet. Haven't gotten to the USB part either. Will do some more testing over the weekend :)

First impressions are much better than I feared this morning.

Oh and the advertised office 365 personal subscription was nowhere to be seen, will call the store tomorrow and complain :)

teck

From Australia here. i7/256GB.

Finished setting it up last night without any problem. The fan kicked in during some updates and softwares installs, but wasn't that loud. The top right corner was only slightly warm.

Got the following softwares installed and working perfectly
- MS Office 2013
- Adobe Photoshop CC 2014
- MangaStudio 5.0.4

While using Photoshop and MangaStudio, the fan haven't kick in yet(only tested small file so far). Will do some big files with lots of layers to see how it handle when I get home tonight.

malberttoo

From Australia here. i7/256GB.

Finished setting it up last night without any problem. The fan kicked in during some updates and softwares installs, but wasn't that loud. The top right corner was only slightly warm.

Got the following softwares installed and working perfectly
- MS Office 2013
- Adobe Photoshop CC 2014
- MangaStudio 5.0.4

While using Photoshop and MangaStudio, the fan haven't kick in yet(only tested small file so far). Will do some big files with lots of layers to see how it handle when I get home tonight.

Welcome teck, let us know how it goes.