What's new

Microsoft Annouces the Surface 3

CrippsCorner

The 6" phone killed the 7-8" tablet, shot it through the head now it's really dead ... could be a modified version of Bohemian Rhapsody:)

Would you really want this to kill off the bigger version? I personally wouldn't!

Plus a 6" phone to me, is ridiculous, but then again I was happy with a 3.5" iPhone 4 :D

zhenya

Might this Surface 3 be a good preview of a fanless SP4 ?

I guess so. Fanless, thiner, and same form factor as a SP3 = SP4 ?

Not likely for the SP4 which will continue to use the same 15w parts as the Sp3 necessitating a fan. There is room for a Core-M variant, but I think with this Atom release, Core-M is not likely in the Surface lineup, except possibly as a replacement for the i3 SP3 where much of its benefit will be negated as it will undoubtedly be placed in the same housing as its bigger brothers.

RémiM

Not likely for the SP4 which will continue to use the same 15w parts as the Sp3 necessitating a fan. There is room for a Core-M variant, but I think with this Atom release, Core-M is not likely in the Surface lineup, except possibly as a replacement for the i3 SP3 where much of its benefit will be negated as it will undoubtedly be placed in the same housing as its bigger brothers.

What you say makes a lot of sense even though I hardly imagine the SP4 coming with the 15W proc.

The miniaturization of the motherboard allowed by the use of a low Watts processor is to much of an advantage. It has to be the future for computers.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Would you really want this to kill off the bigger version? I personally wouldn't!

Plus a 6" phone to me, is ridiculous, but then again I was happy with a 3.5" iPhone 4 :D
Yeah I could totally go for a hit bigger than Bohemian Rhapsody :D

the rest doesn't seem to matter what I think... market forces will over power me... but no, I wont go lower than 10.1 in a tablet, below that it's phone use. We each draw the line where we want and get devices accordingly.

Kif

Well, for the *best* experience you also need the $50 pen and $200 docking station. But hey, that's the whole point of a tablet. You can expand it to the way you like, whether you need pen-and-paper replacement or laptop-replacement.

I don't really use my pen much and I have a docking station but it's for a specific purpose. However I can't image people not using the keyboard. Windows just isn't optimized for use without a keyboard and touchpad.

Kif

I'm confused. The latest Geekbench scores for the...
  • Surface Pro 3 with the Intel Core i3-4020Y processor are 1684 in single-core mode and 3272 in all-core mode.
  • Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140 with the Intel Core M-5Y10 are 1936 in single-core mode and 3972 in all-core mode.
  • Intel Atom x7-Z8700 processor were 990 in single-core mode and 3451 in all-core mode.
This seems to indicate that both Atom processors are faster that the i3 in all-core mode and the x7-Z8700 is only 5% faster than the Z3795 at full tilt, but the M-5Y10 blows them all away. Are this numbers really meaningful?

I think it's generally better to have a couple really good cores then 4 mediocre cores. Most apps don't see much of a performance boost in a multi-core environment. That's why Apple has stuck with dual cores in the A series processors.

ptrkhh

The next one will be USB Type-C... unless they revise the blade on the SP4 :)

The Blade is not more likely to get broken than a micro USB connector. Panny stated in was the #1 request... but I think they misinterpreted it... or they asked the wrong people. :)
Quite a disappointment though that they didn't go with Type-C instead.

The blade is going to be present in the SP4 for sure since they claimed that Al SP3 accessories, including the docking station, will be compatible with the SP4. Theres no way they're not putting the blade connector on the SP4.

Might this Surface 3 be a good preview of a fanless SP4 ?

I guess so. Fanless, thiner, and same form factor as a SP3 = SP4 ?
Since MS was really proud with the fan of the SP3, I don't think they will ditch that. On the other hand, my speculation is the non-Pro will always be the slower, fanless version of the Pro
All we know about power on the Z8700 is it has a SDP of 2w, that's the low power mode which is plenty low, we just don't know the normal or up TDP.
I think the problem with S3 and fanless in general, is that they couldn't maintain anything more than a short burst without throttling the CPU. Heck, even the SP3 with a fan still has troubles with cooling. That's why, related to the speculation above, I really doubt that the SP4 will be fanless

What you say makes a lot of sense even though I hardly imagine the SP4 coming with the 15W proc.

The miniaturization of the motherboard allowed by the use of a low Watts processor is to much of an advantage. It has to be the future for computers.
Well, if they want to maintain the performance of the SP2, they couldn't do that without active cooling. No way Core M could manage o match i5-4300U in sustained load without active cooling. Sure, its more efficient than Haswell, but not *that* much. And Id say they're going step up the performance with the SP4, given the direction that the SP3 was going (to i7) despite being limited with the slim chassis.

I don't really use my pen much and I have a docking station but it's for a specific purpose. However I can't image people not using the keyboard. Windows just isn't optimized for use without a keyboard and touchpad.
Well, if you stay in metro mode, and S3 is designed more towards metro than the SP3. And you might still have the keyboard from your Surface RT. I don't think not including the keyboard is a big problem. the big problem is the price. $130 Is clearly overpriced for such product.

Not to mention W10 would probably change things here and there again.

I think it's generally better to have a couple really good cores then 4 mediocre cores. Most apps don't see much of a performance boost in a multi-core environment. That's why Apple has stuck with dual cores in the A series processors.
And why nobody buys AMD FX processors.

CrippsCorner

Yeah I could totally go for a hit bigger than Bohemian Rhapsody :D

the rest doesn't seem to matter what I think... market forces will over power me... but no, I wont go lower than 10.1 in a tablet, below that it's phone use. We each draw the line where we want and get devices accordingly.

Well, that's precisely why it's great that there's a size for everyone!

Phones... 4/5/6"
Mini tablets... 7/8/9"
Tablets... 10/11/12"
Laptops... 13/14/15"

Take your pick :)